• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Correct oil checking method

Hi there,

I have 2 questions that im not sure of.
The first is when is the best time to check my oil levels, this may sound a bit dumb of me but some people tell me cold and some warm. My oil levels are dead between the two marks on the stick when cold.

Secondly, i was caught short on a sunday and realised my oil was below the minimum line (hot and cold readings) and had to resort to halfords, they and the chart both recommended a 5 35w fully sinthetic peugeot and ford oil. I nipped to get my owners manual and this confirmed that the viscocity was correct but is that oil any good for my car, its been sounding a bit tappety since.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally, I check hot.
This is what I used to teach technicians for Audi too.

I've had a look in the manual to see if there's an indicator whether hot or cold is preferable, I hadn't actually given it much thought till now. It says to "wait a few minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil", the diesel model has a note to check the engine oil level when the engine is cold, but nothing concrete on the petrol.

I've always put the car on level ground near my house, waited a bit, then checked but not been concerned with hot or cold. But from the procedure for changing the oil, it's warmed up to operating temp, changed, turned on then back off and then the level is checked. At that point it would still be pretty warm by my reckoning so in future I'll be taking it for a run then parking it on flat ground, give it fifteen minutes or so and then check.

As for the oil, 5w 40 is recommended, but people on the forum have used 5w 30 etc. It should be fine but I'd stick to 40 from now on.

On a level surface 10 mins after driving. Dip more than 3 times and you're playing with it.

If you're checking/filling it when cold you want the level below the max. The oil level will rise when it's hot.
Best to check hot, on a level surface, left standing for 5-10mins.

I check mine at the petrol station. I figure the time it takes to fill up and pay gives it a decent amount of time to settle, usually pretty flat ground too.

I also enjoy the look on people's faces when they're queuing behind my car and they expect me to move soon as I've paid. If they get arsey then I take extra time getting the level JUST right. Most people just sit there looking guilty because they haven't checked their oil EVER.

When its. Warm though it seems to be smeared up the stick in places and I cant get a clear reading.

Great advice though. The car is due a service in Feb so ill get that cheap Peugeot ford Halfords oil out and put some decent stuff in.

I'm the same, with it warm I can't seem to get a clear reading. VTEC is still kicking in as normal, and there's no oil warning lights up on the dash, so I know it can't be too low on oil, but I'm concerned that I'm getting very inconstant or unclear readings off the stick.

Is the proper way to dip; leave for 3 minutes after use, pull stick, wipe it, dip it? I'm new to Honda's and can't see the logic in dipping it hot.

The reason for checking the oil level when hot is that the level will be higher when hot compared to when it's cold.
When cold you'd want the level around 2/3 to 3/4 full. When hot it will raise to around the max mark.
Engine warm. Leave for a few mins for the oil to settle. Pull dipstick, wipe, dip and check level.

FYI - the reason I was confused, was because when the engine is cold the oil would have had time to settle in the sump and you'd get a truer reading of how much was in the sump. Where as if the engine is still hot it may not have had time to settle properly. If that's what you guys do though, and it's what Honda recommend I'll go with it

Ah i'm with you, I do seem to get a better reading hot :D I often find the oil doesn't stick to the dip stick though, I get blobs here and there, but not a nice line to go off of. I might just drain the oil and refill it up with the exact amount for peice of mind. I only bought the car on last weekend, Hond Newbie!
Thanks

Back