• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Couple of Q's: valve clearances done but tappy noise and possible release bearing?

Hi guys.

Had some work done on my car at Holdcroft Honda in Stoke-on-Trent:

Valve clearances adjusted, new rocker cover gasket
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Air filter changed
Pollen Filter changed
Removed driveshaft heatshield
Gearbox oil changed
Visual check of chain/tensioner etc

And removing the rattly heatshield has uncovered new noises :D

First of all the engine was much quieter, 2004 EP3, on 71k, clearances hadn't been done since 25k it seems! So yep, much quieter, smoother, less tappy at tickover and through the revs.

Thats lasted a week and tonight after work sounded a bit tappety again... could just be injectors I suppose but basically what I am asking is how quiet/smooth should the engine sound once the valve clearances have been done?

Secondly this could have been like this for ages but I was doing something and put my foot on my clutch before pulling off the other day and after holding it down a few seconds the car got quieter.

Seemingly when the clutch is out you can hear a light whirring, not that overbearing at all, which goes away a few seconds after holding clutch pedal in and returns when you release.

Standard original clutch... could it be simply the release bearing? It is getting a little stiffer getting into gears when on the boil but otherwise the gearchange is nice and smooth, slick and positive as it should be.

Thanks folks, I am probably worrying too much really but it's cost enough already, wanna get it lowered instead of maintenance now lol it's had loads done since I bought it 8 months ago.

Dave :)

Nice one folks sounds less worrying than input shaft bearing someone else said lol.

I had a Corsa Sport 1.6 for a while and battered that car with a noisy release bearing since day one so I won't worry too much as it's not loud and the Civic gets an easy life to be fair.

I really want it lowered! But the clutch has done 71 and a half thou now so I'd like to swap it anyways early next year, I'm sure it will be fine till then if it's likely to just be the release bearing.

Are you guys saying your car sounds exactly the same at idle whether you push in the clutch or let it fully out? With the clutch fully out, would you not get a little whirr from the gearbox spinning? And with the clutch pushed in, the gearbox wouldn't be spinning at all, so you wouldn't hear anything. The reason i ask is because i had a new clutch fitted at TGM in Fleet less than 3000 miles ago and i can hear a slight whirring sound when i have the clutch fully out but disappears when i push it in. So i'm thinking there are a few possibilities - 1) TGM didn't replace my release bearing when they changed the clutch (unlikely)... 2) Release bearing is worn out after <3000 miles (unlikely)... 3) The slight whirr is the sound of the gearbox spinning.

Just after some clarification really.

Mine does sound exactly like that and as if something "spins down" when you put the clutch in...

In other cars when it's release bearing the change is instant as soon as depressing the clutch.

Someone mentioned input shaft bearing but I dunno what it is, apart from it's in the gearbox?

Mine is the same my clutch was done by TGM too.. Less than 1k miles ago.

I'm still wondering what that would be?

I'm not worrying about it. I had my 75k service at TGM at the same time as they did the clutch and they said everything was fine, so i'm going with that. As i say, i think the slight whirr is just the gearbox spinning. If it was anything else, I'd like to think with TGM's reputation they would have noticed something.

I am one of those who will worry a lot with "odd" noises but I spose theres a lotta stuff going on with all those moving parts so I shouldn't worry.

Especially if it seems quite common. No point having a Type R and be too worried to drive it like a lunatic lol.

I'm just glad it's common as you can kinda forget about it then considering no one elses has blown up yet :D

The only problem with that is I've fitted a sub and destroyed my interior so I have the most horrid resonant rattle from my drivers door haha

Can't win :D OCD!

I find sites like this make you extra paranoid about your own car, it's just not healthy. You read about so many people describing symptoms of whatever noise or something and people saying it's really expensive jobs to get it fixed, that you get so worried as soon as you hear a little thing on your own car.

I know, and it's a bit mad when we've bought cars which rev over 8k and supposedly love it, bit pointless us being paranoid when we've got engines like ours lol

Just wanted to touch on this bit again if I may:

Thats lasted a week and tonight after work sounded a bit tappety again... could just be injectors I suppose but basically what I am asking is how quiet/smooth should the engine sound once the valve clearances have been done?

The noises I have are a light rattle especially from cold which seems near the inlet manifold area. It's not injector firing noise/clicking, definitely something else.

I also have a tapping/light knocking of sorts from somewhere by the drivers wheel.

I am hoping it's all one thing and is some form of pulley, I'm no mechanic but is this something other people have experienced after valve clearances have been done, more so the top end/front end rattling?!

Back