• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 CPLEngine Management Light

Can anyone help with this. It appeared after jump starting someones car, my car wasn't running and keys may have been in the ignition....big mistake

Anyway, The code was PO171 - System too lean bank 1.

At the time it had a re-flashed K100 ECU from CPL on it. This made the car horrendous to drive, symptoms of a sticking throttle body, kangarooing at low revs and poor fuel economy.

After a few days the EML fault light disappeared from the dash which has not been helpful in diagnosing the problem. Despite this I have now swapped out the K100 ECU with the re flash on it for a spare ECU I have, the fault has not returned.

Identifying this is right pain...Could I have spiked the re-flashed K100 ECU perhaps? Blown Front oxygen sensor?

Thx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the code when you read it? Not a lot of info in your post. What where you doing when it came on, what mileage are you at, serviced regularly? etc.

As Loxy says, you need to plug it into a ODB2 reader and read the codes as the engine managment light covers about 200 different things so could be anything.

Back