• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Crash query

TRO'ers,

You might know that someone shunted my Type-R in the rear on Monday. My car looks to require a new rear bumper and lower lip spoiler.

I've not had a chance to whip the bumper off and inspect the crash/impact beam. So not sure how detrimental the shunt was to the actual chassis.

I have a query though, and though I might have answered it myself, am still keen to get some speculative feedback.

Basically the same day (after the crash) I got the car home and serviced it (it is fully drivable to the naked eye). Anyhow I serviced, and have not really driven it since. Last night I took it for a spin to pick a mate up from the station, and this morning I took it to Honda to collect a part.

What I found was a groaning sound typical of brake pads on their way out. On further inspection the inside passenger wheel arch trim was rubbing against the wheel on full lock - not the pads then. Phew!

No. Not phew, I removed the wheel, in my work attire like a d!ck, and discovered that the reason the arch liner is rubbing against the wheel under lock, is because the metal frame/chassis - that the liner clips into is bent/quite badly twisted.

My question is: Is it permissable to assume that this could have been caused as a result of the shunt?

I can 110% confirm that the chassis was fine, when I swapped over to Pre-Facelift arch liners a couple of months ago, when I fitted a pre-facelift bumper for the Airwalker lip... blah, blah, blah.

I'm not the type to drive like a lunatic over speedbumps, infact I get horned sometimes. LOL. And I can't recall an incident, that's had me thinking about how detrimental the effects of the event might have been; as there haven't been any occurrences. I've always jacked the car up using correct points, axle stands (Tone) etc. etc.

It might be minor - but thinking that the car has been in an accident, chassis being bent, etc. etc. have me fearing the worst.

What do you think, and what are the chances of this happening as a result of the shunt?

Cheers,

Suns

Last edited by a moderator:
:? I find it hard to comprehend how a rear shunt like the one you had would cause enough force to do the damage to what you have described.

I'd be claiming for it though, as you said, you replaced the liners not long ago and all was well then, so how else could it have happened.

Definitely, my thinking exactly.

I wonder how dangerous this is/could be...

I've had some rotten luck with this EP3.

I'm just thinking; I was working under this car on Monday, and did not know about this until yesterday/this morning - the frame is bent, but inches, from the jack point - this could have been dangerous, if it gave way.

I'm just thinking; I was working under this car on Monday, and did not know about this until yesterday/this morning - the frame is bent, but inches, from the jack point - this could have been dangerous, if it gave way.

Try and get some pic's, I'm having trouble picturing the part thats damaged :) .

I bent it back into shape this morning - McGuyver'd it off in Southall Honda car park - with the help of RIZ SHAH. I'll see what I can do as regards to taking a picture.

my old ford ka was shunted up the back at 10mph. there looked like there was no damage.

when i went to trade it in, i was having a clearout of old junk and found that the boot floor had crumpled and had a raised lump under the carpet where the body had absorbed the impact. I carried on with the trade in.

The following week i drove past the dealers to find the little sh*tbox up on a raised platform, covered in balloons and a big sticker saying 'car of the month' :lol:

Some poor bugger now probably has a semi-squashed supermini on their driveway.

LOL.

Bit of an update:

After faffing with the vented fenders, I've discovered that the twisted trim - isn't actually the chassis :). Infact, it was the arch/fender.

Still miffed as to how this happened, as I replaced the arch liners for pre-face items, about 3-months ago, and all was well then. I have also had the wheels off, to clean them in the last 4-weeks; all was well then too.

Luckily, I have the J's arches now - so they will replace the OEM items - and order should be restored.

So unless the bodyshop hit me with a bombshell - it's not structural :cool:

Back