• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

creaking/squeaking steering wheel noise

hi all
i got a problem, when driving sometimes i get this creaking/squeaking sound coming from the steering wheel turning left or right even if its a slightest of movement it creaks/squeeks it comes and goes and its at any speed any ideas??

thanks

I have this also I've researched it and it appears to be link to two different parts

My creaking was cause by damaged coil overs

But if you search on YouTube for civic creaking or squeaking (can't remember which one) theres a guy on there posted up some videos which showed the same symptoms as I was getting and I think it was linked to the steering rack and lubrication. Let me know if you find it and if not I'll have another look.

Sounds like a steering rack issue as said above, but it might be worth seeing if the top mounts are tights.

sorry to jump in on this post, but i too have this problem?
I have only just bought the car (saturday) and love it to bits, but the creaking / sqeaking noise is a bit of a nuisance and quite distracting. I took the car to a mechanic today and the noise appears to be coming from the bar that goes to the drivers side track rod end but at the end where it joins the steering rack? it looks like a ball joint type of arrangement but there is limited access so couldnt realy tell, i have a feeling its going to be steering rack out and lube / renew.
has anybody else had this issue and resolved it?
cheers
nick

I have the same problem :(. Only when I turn the wheel very slightly when going forward it makes a squeaking creaking sound :(

I used the 'white lithium grease' method. Its a bit of a bodge but six months down the line and its still not squeaked since.

1) Buy white lithium grease (comes in a spray bottle with a straw like WD40 does)
2) Using a pin or stanley knife, punch a hole in 2 or 3 places along the steering rack gator. (This is why its a bodge) Only very minimal hole is needed to fit the straw through. The hole will effectively seal itself up afterwards.
3) Spray lithium grease down into the holes on the boot. Be generous with the spray.
4) Done - No more steering rack squeak. I did this at least 6 months ago (on just one side of the rack) and its completely eliminated the rubbery squeak sound that is oh so common on the EP3.

I also had squeaky steering noise which sounded like the rack and only noticeable when parking up or driving slow speeds. Due to being under warranty i took it back to the dealer and some coils needed replacing and the problem was solved.

Back