• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

crunching noise when turning my car on?

I noticed when the car is cold and i turn the key to start the car i hear a loud crunching nose on the right side(drivers) of the car(atleast i think its on the right side). I only hear it when i start the car first thing in the morning though or if the cars cold, once its warm its totally fine?

Is this the heat shield or something?

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything to worry about? starter motor located on the right of the engine bay? It does make it sense since it only happens when engine is cold.

i just live with mine, i don't think its anything to worry about tbh, on the passenger side yeah,

no doubt someone a little more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to confirm

Oh sorry i meant right side being the drivers side sorry. or maybe i think its right side since my windows only open on right(drivers side) lol?

Very very common fault.

Starter is on the front of the block.

Alit of people just live with it.

Search is your friend :)

Both my EP3's and every EP3 that's ever been owned by friends of mine, has done this. Just ignore :)

think im going to have a look at mine this weekend, lubricate or something. ill report back :)

If it doesn't stick it's fine.

Back on the 4age mine used to stick all the time, nothing a hit with a hammer couldn't fix, that's old school Toyota engineering right there.

as stoo said. after my investigating i cant lubricate :(. will have to continue to live with it

whats the best way of checking if the starter motor is on it's way out?

literally overnight my ep3 has started to struggle a little with starting up. after a run, if you switch off and then start up again it starts up fine, but if left for any amount of time it takes just a bit longer to kick into life and sometimes almost sounds like it is not going to start due to not enough fuel (there IS enough fuel, it's just what it sounds like).

i am mainly only doing short distances in the car to and from work, so could it be that it might be the battery that has taken a hit?

i did get the battery changed a few months ago as the car wouldn't start and the RAC man tested the starter motor somehow and said it was all fine. i am hoping the battery is dead and not the starter motor.

Sounds like the battery to me.

Get it tested and/or charged up fully and see if it improves.

there is a "green" indicator on the battery, that would appear to suggest the battery is fine.

i will try and dig out the receipt and take it back and swap it for a new one.

there is a "green" indicator on the battery, that would appear to suggest the battery is fine.

i will try and dig out the receipt and take it back and swap it for a new one.

Aye my previous one still read that it was OK on the indicator but it well and truly wasnt! :lol:

Back