• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR 1st Service Oil

I recently purchased 10 litres (2 x service oil) of Silkolene Pro S 5w40 from Oilman on a GB on here.

This is meant to be pretty shit hot :wink:

Think it is still availible, might be worth seeing if you can order it & receive it before Friday :wink:

HTH

I was advised by the dealers I bought the DC5 from to use Silkoline as it is quality stuff. Not done it yet though :oops:

See if you can get hold of some from Oilman before then, worth a try :D

Mine had Shell Helix Ultra in on its last service (37.5k). Seems fine.... actually it seems the same what ever oil is in it! :lol: :lol: :roll:

I just had Mobil 1 (0w40) put in on my first service.

Costco sell it for £24 for 4 litres, much cheaper than Oilmans prices. 8)

Are you sure that running an oil with such low viscosity is a good idea?

MilanoChris said:

Honda recommened using Castrol SLX Longtec [0W30] so it shouldn't really be that much of issue. Each to their own though.

CTR said:
MilanoChris said:

Honda recommened using Castrol SLX Longtec [0W30] so it shouldn't really be that much of issue. Each to their own though.

Honda Germany strrongly reccomend not to use it as they've had a lot of engine's go due to the oil being consumed to fast. They recon it's too thin for the high revs and believe 5W30 is a much better option.

I'd listen to them, German engineers tend to know what they are on about.

MilanoChris said:
CTR said:
MilanoChris said:

Honda Germany strrongly reccomend not to use it as they've had a lot of engine's go due to the oil being consumed to fast. They recon it's too thin for the high revs and believe 5W30 is a much better option.

I'd listen to them, German engineers tend to know what they are on about.

This is my rerason for using 5W40. I thought 0W-40 was far too thin :shock:

SpaceMonkey said:
I recently purchased 10 litres (2 x service oil) of Silkolene Pro S 5w40 from Oilman on a GB on here.

This is meant to be pretty crap hot :wink:

Think it is still availible, might be worth seeing if you can order it & receive it before Friday :wink:

HTH

This is what I have gone with on my 1st service, with the car at 9K miles.

MilanoChris said:

I used to run my S2000 on the stuff Chris and never had a problem, just depends if your car drinks oil from the start, mine never has.

In a hot country i would use a higher one but this place is ok IMO.

I check my oil regularly so if i see it disappearing fast then i'll go for something thicker.

Composite Guru said:
MilanoChris said:

I used to run my S2000 on the stuff Chris and never had a problem, just depends if your car drinks oil from the start, mine never has.

In a hot country i would use a higher one but this place is ok IMO.

I check my oil regularly so if i see it disappearing fast then i'll go for something thicker.

Fair enough mate. For max performance you can't beat a good thin oil, but it comes at a price. If your happy with it and take all the precations then that's all that matters 8)

Back