• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ctr 52 plate help with buying?

Hi Guys I'm going to view a type r this afternoon.

Guy has told me that it has 2 things wrong with it.

First the Engine light is on, Guy said due to having a decat the ecu flags up a lamda sensor missing. Is this correct and could this cause problems?

Second the ABS light is, Again guy said its a front sensor needs replacing but ABS still works.

The guy has decated and changed intake but no ecu remap.

The exahust has been changed along with the decat and it knocks where the bend before tail pipe is this also a problem.

My first post here so thanks for any help and advice before i go to look today would be great.

Thanks for your time

Gary

Thanks but this one is very clean and low miles.

Most are 100+ plus with problems if not could have
also only 3 in my area only this 1 with 80k miles and fsh up to 56k then private after.

just need more help regarding the problems this one has.
Thanks and i do see where your coming from,

The management light will come on if it's decatted but you should have a remap when doing this. It's not very healthy to run it this way so how long has he been running the car like that? and why has he not fixed the problems? especially the abs, if it's just a sensor.

I bought an MG once that had low miles, full history and was very clean, it turned out to be a nightmare, gave me nothing but problems and I was constantly spending out on it.

Personally I would try and find another one and be ready to travel for a genuine example or at least get him to fix the problems before you buy.

OK, Any car this old could have hidden problems.

2 weeks ago he had a decat fitted and rear exhaust and air intake but no remap.
anything else to look for while test driving and looking around the car?
thanks

The main issue to me about buying a car with the EML on, even if it does have a decat and the lambda sensor threw the original code, how are you to know if something else hasn't come along since and thrown it's own code?

It could now have a cam position code, knock code, etc. without you having any idea until you put it on a code reader or take the decat off and the light stays on.

Running a decat without a remap is also a cheap and lazy way of doing it. The OEM map can't handle the freer flowing nature of removing the cat and doesn't throw enough fuel in to compensate for the increased airflow in. This leads to the engine running lean, which can mean knock at load under WOT, which ultimately leads to overheating or a piston breaking through the block.

These engines are tough yes, but you have to maintain them properly and run them properly.

Avoid this car full stop. As per Beard, you would have replaced a £150 sensor anyway, especially on something like the brakes, never mind if you were selling it.

Back