• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR 54 - Horrid noise from engine bay!! HELP :(

Hey guys, i just signed up, and already need some assistance. :(

Just bought a 54 plate Type R and i have noticed there is a metallic grinding or vibrating noise coming from the engine bay. (sounds a bit like an engine when its pinking)

I originally thought heat shield and took it to garage, they check it over and said they were fine and that the noise was coming from the front too, Kwik Fit not so helpful.

Just took it for an hour drive and it seems to get louder the hotter the engine is. I have checked and found the following:

- Does it when pulling away, when engine under pressure.(when revs build up, it disappears)
- Is at its worst when in any gear decellorating (coasting in gear)
- Stops when the clutch is dipped
- Engine sounds very loud when in reverse gear

Cant really hear it when your there with the hood up, nothing really stands out unless your inside the car and driving it.

Sorry about the essey, wanted to give as much info as poss.

Gutted, kinda thinkin i wish i hadnt bought it :(

Dan

Thanks guys, Its booked in to the garage where i bought it on tuesday so hopefully they will look into tht for me.

Always good to go prepared when dealin with garages, especially if not dealship so thanks very much.

Ill keep you updated

Dan

Nice car there Dan, think I saw it at work assuming your at Broadland NU, did you get the car from a dealer locally?

Hey,

Yeah I work at NU. I got the car from that garage at the bottom of ketts hill on the round about, "the value car centre".

They werent very helpful yesterday when i went down there, but its booked in for tuesday morning now.

Thing is the car is fine when your using it around the city, but if its a long drive something must heat up a lot and start the noise. Finger crossed its the driveshaft HS like everyone is saying.

Dan

Does sound like the heatshield is usually at a certain revs? mine was at 3000 revs.

Well its not at certain revs as such its more like anything under 2k on pull away, and it will make the noise on decelleration at any rev range.
You would have thought honda would have done a re call on them to sort this issue out.

Im going to take it to a mate of mine who is a honda machanic today and see if he can tell me wat it is too.

Dan

ps.. Hi to everyone tht is welcoming me :)

Hey,

Yeah I work at NU. I got the car from that garage at the bottom of ketts hill on the round about, "the value car centre".

They werent very helpful yesterday when i went down there, but its booked in for tuesday morning now.

Thing is the car is fine when your using it around the city, but if its a long drive something must heat up a lot and start the noise. Finger crossed its the driveshaft HS like everyone is saying.

Dan

Hi Dan.

That's where I bought mine, when they were on Aylsham Rd. He's not the most helpful bloke in the world, but I did palm him off with my old BMW in part ex. It need so much work it was worth negative money.

Are you sure it's not the i-VTEC cover vibrating? It's a common problem.

The bloke at the value car centre buys most of his stock from Norwich Auction and then sticks between a grand and 1500 mark up, as said he;s helpful to sell the car but not for any return visits I hear.

Used to work at Rover as a mechanic and heat shields were a constant annoyance on Honda engines so let me know how you get on Dan as I can have a poke around if req.

Other problem could be heatshield around cat convertor, bolts rust away and it becomes lose viabrating between metal plates but your symptons could point to many areas of possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bloke at the value car centre buys most of his stock from Norwich Auction and then sticks between a grand and 1500 mark up, as said he;s helpful to sell the car but not for any return visits I hear.

Used to work at Rover as a mechanic and heat shields were a constant annoyance on Honda engines so let me know how you get on Dan as I can have a poke around if req.

Other problem could be heatshield around cat convertor, bolts rust away and it becomes lose viabrating between metal plates but your symptons could point to many areas of possibilities.

Mine has been doing this for ages. So much so that the bottom half has fallen off. I've bought the new parts, including all the bolts and gaskets for the exhaust in case they snap while dropping the cat off. Cost me £104. Just gonna get it fitted at a cheap garage that I trust near my work.

The general consensus amongst people I've spoken to about it has been to just take it okk completely. Wish I'd known.

You can run glue around the edging to refit it, saves spending the £100 quid, heat tape is another trick used for exhausts.

unfortunately dan I also bought a car from them quite a few years ago and also had problems, again neither father nor son very helpful, I would howerver get receipts for work done and bills for parts, and insist they have an obligation to honor the statutory 6 month warranty by law.

Does it make the noise when idling out of gear? If no, does it make the noise if you build the revs (whilst stationary) in neutral?

WEll hello again everyone.

After sending my car back to the garage i bought it (2 weeks ago) I was given 3 courtesy vehicles, all 3 broke down, I was promised phone calls with updates which never came, i was promised my car back " tomorrow " about 4 times!!!! That didnt happen until today.

"YESSS" i hear you shout! NO! The noice is still there. Still bloody there.

They said it had to go away for a week as it needed the earbox reconditioning. The Idle gear bearings are worm or damaged, they said!
After a week i called them and it hadnt even been looked at.

Today after a massive confrentation, i got my car back and the noise is as clear at feckin water. The only other thing i can think of is removing that cover, although i dont have a socket to fit lol.

I give up, I have found a really good fix to the problem though... went out bought an Ipod docking station, crank up to volume 40, you cant hear it no more. Plus got a filter put on, MORE NOISE LOL :D to cover that horrid sound!

If it were clutch release bearing you would probably hear the noise on idle when stationary.

Wonder if it could be the camchain - duff tensioner? Just a thought. (again, you are likely to hear that on idle when stationary).

If anyone had asked me is buying a car from the value centre a good call , I would have said run a mile from what I know of them...this doesn't help you of course.

If the car has a fault then you can reject it under consumer trades act, i would take it to Holden Honda and get them to diagnose the fault and the Value centre pay the bill or ask for a refund on the car.

I have heard gearboxes are an issue on the type r but I would not put up with the noise as it will only get worse mate.

Does it make the noise when idling out of gear? If no, does it make the noise if you build the revs (whilst stationary) in neutral?

The main times you will hear the noise are when:

- You drop it down a gear (especially 2nd) and coast (while in gear) with no throttle u hear a grinde.

- If you are stationary with it out of gear you can hear the weeerrrrrring noise of a slight grinding noise, when the clutch is then dipped the noise goes.

- If your driving in gear and it makes the noise, it also goes when the clutch is dipped.

- Every now and again you hear this when pulling away but as soon as the revs build up it goes.

- When stationary and out of gear, you can hear the noise (as above) but then when you rev it, it goes.

Maybe this will help anyone that knows anything about clutchs and gearboxes. Surely someone in the world has had this problem and knows what it is ?!?! :S

I find some days its worse then others, its random! I have seen a number of posts on here for ppl tho that say theirs have done it for ages and its fine.

Does anyone know of any other cheapy garages in Norwich that will check the heatshields over for me (or remove them all together) then ill get that plastic siht taken off the engine too and see if this helps.

Thanks guys :D

I have same problem. Booking it into local garage, removing both heatshields. If noise remains then I will wait until something more serious happens. Noise sucks yes, but better to wait until the problem is obvious than throw money away.

Back