• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR EP3 - Dreaded idle hunting 1,500 - 2,000 - A thought?

Hi all.

Googled my problem - found loads - including on here. Most point to Idle Control Valve for idle issues. However, just had a thought before going too far removing mine! Any advice greatly received;

(Standard UK-Spec Civic Type-R (EP3?) 2002)

Car been standing idle for three-weeks. Span freely, but almost no hint of firing! Several attempts! Really had to keep cranking with wide open throttle to get subtle hint of any fire. Eventually "caught" and ran!

Left to warm-up normally. After 3-4 mins, idle suddenly dipped then went hunting - 1,500rpm to 2,000 - constantly and absolutely regular beat! (If I rev and hold above 2,000, all ok and could probably drive it.)

Tried a few times from warm - does same thing every time, goes to steady 2,000rpm (used to be only 1,200), slowly comes down to 1,000 over about 15seconds - then goes straight to hunting again!

Does this suggest the idle control valve is actually working? Something's opening the throttle and slowly bringing it down in a controlled way? Seems once it "comes off" whatever this cycle is to normal warm idle - it then goes to hunting. Is something causing the ICV to keep opening and closing? Just wondering before draining coolant etc to clean and inspect it.

Or should I just continue?

Cheers,
Neil

Sounds like the idle control valve has got crap in it ( common prob if car left standing for a bit ) , but it may just need a good rag around for a bit to clear.
2,000 rpm is what the engine will idle to until its warm. My suggestion is go for a drive of about 20 mins or so then ty again.
HTH

I had the same thing after leaving the car for 2 weeks while I was on holiday, just give it a good blast somewhere and it should sort itself out :)

Cheers all :)

Airbox and most of bits already off. Anti-freeze not been changed for a few years - bought some new - may as well remove and clean it.

Can feel past the butterfly valve - black and gooey mess!

My car done this last weekend. It sits for over a month all the time in the garage and is usually spot on. But last weekend I needed to jump start it to get it going as the battery died.

Then it started the idle hunting nonsense...... I didn't remove the TB and clean the valve, I drove it 150 miles and it gradually got better. Then it annoyed me beyond belief, so I fixed it. 8K RPM in 4th gear, sorted it instantly.

Cars been sitting for another week and I took it out today and it's perfectly fine.

Yup, sometimes the engine needs a good ragging to clear its throat. :)

I've had this problem, car still in dealer waiting for a throttle assembly from greece.

Cheers all for info and threads. Finally got round to sorting - it was the IACV mounted under the throttle body.

The roller-vane-like valve had become stiff with carbon deposits. Cleaned with carb-filter cleaner - moved freely then - and put back together.

Running and idling like a dream now and glad I can give the missus her Micra back ;-) Missed the CTR so much!

Cheers,
Neil

I have this problem. I have cleaned the throttle body out and replaced, and it was more or less fixed (a little fluctuation before settling on 900rpm). Then it got worse again. I could not get the plastic sensor off the body though; it has some rediculous screw head (like torx but with a six pointed star).

How did you actually get the plastic sensor off the throttle body; I could not find a suitable tool anywhere.

OK... then it was a 5 point star. (It wasn't torx, I'm sure of that.)

I think the tool is called TorxPlus. Nowhere stocks them though.

Also correction: I am talking about the plastic sensor off the Idle Control valve itself.

It is a 5 pointed torx. Not very common but i managed to borrow some from work. Just cleaned mine out bit its still the same!!!

My car is now idling worse than before since i cleaned the idle valve and throttle body. Put it on a snap diagnostics machine and no fault codes found!! Any ideas what it could be?

Back