• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR making wierd noise after garage service...?!

Hi guys,

basically I need a little of help and advice on what to do next. I booked my car into a local well-known garage, whom I have used in the past with no issues, friendly enough bunch. This was my first service with them in my recently acquired 02 CTR, and I booked in a Gold service (their full one). Would rather have taken it to honda but i couldn't get the time off work and my local dealer is about 15 miles away, whereas I could drop the car off at the garage and walk 5 mins up the road to my office and pick it up when I was done for the day, so it suited me fine.

They carried out the full service, which turned out to be fitting my new throttle cable (old one a little squeeky so i decided to replace it with a new OEM one) and an oil change- and checking everything else was fine. On the itemised billing they checked everything else but not even the air filter was changed or anything, which their website says should be changed with the service, which surprised me a bit.

I must stress that before the service the car was running completely spot on, no odd noise or any known fault what so ever, it was a minter.

Now since the car was 'fully' serviced with them it makes a metallic rattlling/tapping noise when I first start it up in the mornings, which goes away after about 5 minutes of driving. After that its fine.

I drove it around a bit monitoring the situation but after three days it was still doing this so I took it back and they kept it overnight to listen to it from cold.

On collection they said to me that it was a pulley of some sort but that I shouldn't worry as these are usually self-adjusting (?) and isn't serious since it goes away after I drive it for a bit, and they insisted it isn't an engine noise and isn't linked in any way with the service they carried out. They said the engine was fine.

Their service sheet indicates they checked everything and all was satisfactory. They didn't mention to me on collection that there was anything wrong with the car after they had it serviced, yet the next morning it was making the sound when I started it up and has been doing so since.

It is a metalically whirring/tapping like sound which dissappears after about 5-7 minutes of driving and after the car has properly warmed up.

Should I take it Honda and have them diagnose what is making that noise? Is the garage at fault here? They so-called checked over the entire car in their inspection and couldn't find any fault (best they could come up with was rear wiper will need replacing, rear tyres are have another 5000 miles left etc) nothing engine/transmission/chassis related issues at all, but when they kept it overnight they did acknowledge the noise but insisted it was not related to the full service they carried out.

I just want it back to how it was :( Where do I stand and what should I do?

i'd start by identifying the location of the noise, as i'm assuming the noise is present whilst the car is idling when cold. Whirring noises when cold is a common issue with ep3's iirc

Did they adjust the valve clearances in the service as if the valves were adjusted when the engine was warm it causes rattly noise until engine has warmed through.

Did they adjust the valve clearances in the service as if the valves were adjusted when the engine was warm it causes rattly noise until engine has warmed through.

Very true.

Honda only adjust the clearances then the engine is cold, that's why they need the car all day to do it. Should be done every 25,000 miles according to the service schedule.

thanks for the reply guys! I'm thinking it might be the valve clearances now... my old accord type r had FHSH and had its valve clearances done quite regularly and that never had any such issues even though it had done more miles.

I'm thinking i should take it to honda and get them to keep the car overnight and see what they think...

Back