• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR new timing chain 2 weeks old snapped, Engine damaged

Hi

I know this is unheard of, but I bought a new timing chain kit for my ctr due to a chain guide breaking, the old chain was fine but thought i might aswell buy the kit and replace the lot, now it was running as good as it ever has for a couple of week about 300 miles done, then all of a sudden a small pop and the engine cut out and that was the end of my engine, had the top taken off and the chain was in half, not sure at present what damage has been done, probably a few bent valves etc. GUTTED. I am hoping all damage will be covered on warranty as it was clearly a faulty product, any ideas if any other reasons could have caused this? and also has anyone ever heard of a chain breaking, luckily i still have receipt for kit, I am sure they should be liable for damages etc?

I have never heard of a chain snapping in a ctr, had some serious bad luck here

Thanks for our help

Cheers

Rich

That certainly does sound like rotten luck.

Who changed the chain? Did you replace the tensioner and other guides and was it a genuine Honda chain?

My mate did it as he is a qualified mechanic, changed tensioner and guides, it wasn't genuine, i did buy a genuine kit but sent back as found this one half price and thought why not, regretting it now, but still it should be covered under warranty i would have thought?

Cheers

Never, ever and i mean never service your cars with cheap after market parts! OEM quality is second to none. R&D has taken years for others simply copy. In any case, i think i should ask; did your mate check for slack beeing within factory set limits or was it maybe to tight?

I know kicking myself, I am not sure, if it was to tight it wouldn't have run so well for a few hundred miles would it? also a chain shouldn't snap regardless?

Most failures I have heard of tensioners, chains and guides either have been non oem or used with non oem cams.

Always use Honda parts for critical components imo.

Back