• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR vs GTI mkV

SOates82 said:
only 1 thing i would argue with is the brakes comment... MK5 has really good brakes and the CTRS melt after 5mins of hard use :p

Totally agree, we had an MK4 golf before the CTR and I would say the brakes on that were much better than the CTR. In fact, I would say the CTR brakes are amongst the worst I have used, this is not just my CTR as I have driven 6 different CTRs.

SOates82 said:
only 1 thing i would argue with is the brakes comment... MK5 has really good brakes and the CTRS melt after 5mins of hard use :p

Maybe I drove a rogue example (demo car so likely to have been hammered) so happy to take your word for it on the brake front. They felt a bit over servoed (although not half as much as my A3's) compared to CTR.

R20190 said:
SOates82 said:

Totally agree, we had an MK4 golf before the CTR and I would say the brakes on that were much better than the CTR. In fact, I would say the CTR brakes are amongst the worst I have used, this is not just my CTR as I have driven 6 different CTRs.

Interesting comments there, I remember the CTR getting lots of praise for it's brakes! Stanwans CTR won the braking test (IIRC) in a tuned car test, against cars with completely uprated brakes (e.g. 6 pots etc).

I found the Mk4 Golf breaks were over servo'd. Touch the breaks and you nearly fly through the windscreen :lol:

I think some are confusing over servo'd brakes with braking performance

well the fat POSER is in hiding :twisted: ive told him of comments over the forums on the subject (CTR vs G.T.I) and he still thinks that his golf would eat CTRs :p have challenged him down strip but he wont come out from behind :hide:

jsc said:
I found the Mk4 Golf breaks were over servo'd. Touch the breaks and you nearly fly through the windscreen :lol:

I think some are confusing over servo'd brakes with braking performance

Yeah, you know they are over-servo'd the moment you drive it but I am talking about how quick you can stop the car.

To some degree this depends on the suspension and road surface but overall on our british roads I would still say the golf had better stopping power. On the track however it would most probably be a different story as the surface is much smoother.

Odd thing this CTR brake issue, at least on the road (not track as that is of course a different issue), but I find the brakes, at least on mine to be amongst the best I have ever used. I have changed pads once in 80k miles and the discks are only starting to fade a bit.

They have no problem hauling my 250 horse CTR down when needed.

I also remember that Stanwans car on the tuned car of the year test that C&CC did they came out on top (he did have Ferodos if I recall as a pad upgrade), but they outperormed the upgraded AP's on the hard tuned Evo they had. That was tbh three heavey brakes, so of course they would have faded befoe the 4 pots, but as far as hard brtaking on the road, that is not to shabby.

Our cars are pre-facelift of course, wonder if the newer cars are not quite as good....just musing here :)

Nothing wrong with the CTR's brakes imo. 8) Mine's an early pre-facelift on standard pads and discs atm, and it stops beautifully, even with fairly hard use. :D

Never tried the Golf's brakes though, so can't compare the two.

did nobody else see topgear when they tested the new golf?
the stig took took all the latest hothatches round their track, im sure the cars were,

the magan 225 clubsport
cooper s
focus st
new golf gti
astra vxr
and an ep3 type-r

the type-r was 2 seconds faster round the track than its nearset rival which was the golf!

enough said :D

G said:
I also remember that Stanwans car on the tuned car of the year test that C&CC did they came out on top (he did have Ferodos if I recall as a pad upgrade), but they outperormed the upgraded AP's on the hard tuned Evo they had. That was tbh three heavey brakes, so of course they would have faded befoe the 4 pots, but as far as hard brtaking on the road, that is not to shabby.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to remember this! 8)

Met one briefly as he was trying to get in my boot through a built up area. As we enterd the open road he stepped out to 'destroy' me. Unfortunately for captain presumptuous, from 30 to ??? MPH this completely boggo CTR put some serious distance betwen itself and the Golf.

Surprisingly enough, he was not happy at all, and to prove it he then 'sorted me out' through a 30 zone. Dick. :lol:

jimmy-ctr said:
did nobody else see topgear when they tested the new golf?
the stig took took all the latest hothatches round their track, im sure the cars were,

the magan 225 clubsport
cooper s
focus st
new golf gti
astra vxr
and an ep3 type-r

the type-r was 2 seconds faster round the track than its nearset rival which was the golf!

enough said :D

Your getting confused there mate, the Type-R was 2 seconds quicker than the Golf not its nearest rival.
The Type-R did come out on top but only 0.1 quicker than the Megan. I have a piccy of the times on my computer at home so i'll try and post em when i get home.

Back