• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Curt's Nighthawk Black EP3 Project

Hi, New to the type r scene.
About a month ago purchased a nighthawk black ep3.
Its a 54 plate 60k mikes with full service history and bought it for a bargain price of £4000
Lad had it on sale for 4600, but needed a bit of work, tyres all round, new brakes, & paintwork was a little rough so managed to knock him down alot!

Before we get into it, upgrading from a 1.8 Corsa c which was my second car, (Had a 3 potter corsa as my first car lol) which was fun for a while
Modded it quite a lot, and went for the euro look, but the corsa scene got a bit boring after 3 years, so wanted something completely different.
Wanted something jap, with more power and good handling, so couldn't go wrong with the ep3 really!

Couple of pictures of the much loved corsa >
201.jpg

At performance vauxhall show last year
172.jpg

For anybody who's interested, the progress thread for the car is here > http://www.corsa-c.c...ure*&highlight=

Back onto the civic, had a budget of 5k for the & was looking for a good few weeks for a decent one and came upon this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-54-H...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Didn't look to bad from the pictures, so went to go see it. Got there and it looked just as well as in the pictures. Paintwork needed a good polish but Asian lad was proper sound, and took me for a spin and engine was really smooth. And ended up taking it off him for 4k. Which i think was an right bargain considering the age and the mileage? with FSH, HPI Clear.

However, on the way home after hitting vtec for the first time, heard a sort of shattering and clack noise then instantly gone. Thought it was a large stone hitting the car at the time.
Got home to find, the passenger side rear brake light connecter had broken out of the light along with the bulb. And was now rolling around in the chassis somewhere
huh.png
(Can see where its missing in the pictures)

Must of been previously damaged and then bodged back into place.
Also every tyre on the car was different (which i hate on any car)
And the brakes are absoultly rubbish (Compared to the brembo max and ferodo ds2500 brakes i had on the corsa)
So will wanted these things sorted asap

I work at demon tweeks in wrexham, so straight away ripped the tyres off and scraped them (even though they had good tread all the tyres were terrible)
And replaced them with toyo T1-Rs which i got at a very discounted price
happy.png

Also purchased a mugan gear knob and some red tailored mats for the inside. As the ones with the car were worn and very used.

Had a few detailing lessons and CLB detailing which is local to me, and even *** Paintwork needs a machine buff to get rid of the hordes of swirls and hairline scratches
I decided to give it a full detail Snowfoamed, clay bared, polished, glazed, sealed and waxed
Here are all the pictures of the car i have so far.

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

Note on this pic missing brake light bulb that has broken out
frustrated.gif

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg
And the mugan gear knob i bought
IMG_2001.jpg

There is another bit of the problem with the car, in which it won't track properly
Driver side front wheel for some reason has really bad positive camber. And i don't know why.
Fitters in tweeks seem to think its had a knock in that area which is causing it to be like that. But don't have any idea what part is damaged.

After replacement hub, wishbone and strut failed to fix the problem
I've ordered some spax rsx coilovers so it has adjustable camber.
I know the problem is still going to be there, but at least this will allow the car to track.

Have also ordered a AEM CAI induction kit, for the noise and maybe the power if it does give any more!

Will also get it on the rolling road local to me once the tracking issue is sorted.

Any way
Plans:
Rear window tints
Refurb the alloys Anthracite/Black with red flake/Matt Black (Still undecided)
HIDS
Tarox discs and ferodo d2500 pads all round
Sort out the rear brake light issue.
Machine Polished to remove swirls and light scratches.

Probably will have more plans, but those are the main ones to be sorted first .

looks like a nice standard tidy example. positive camber's probably down to a failed bush in the lower arm(s) or somthing similar (not to sure on ctr suspension setup)
my car needs a good machine polish aswell covered in swirls and scratches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job mate looks fantastic (tw*t bulb lol)

Wish I could detail my car to a high level but will end up paying a professional to do it instead haha....

looks like a nice standard tidy example. positive camber's probably down to a failed bush in the lower arm(s) or somthing similar (not to sure on ctr suspension setup)
my car needs a good machine polish aswell covered in swirls and scratches.

Cheers man, will be taking it to honda soon for a service and to sort out the rear brake light, ill get them to have a look in the area too

coilovers won't give you camber adjustment

Your wrong there matey, they do.

coilovers won't give you camber adjustment

If they have camber adjustable top mounts they will ;)
However, it won't be alot. You'd be better off with camber bolts. Cheaper too. And better than coilovers!

Either way, if you have excessive positive camber and you have already changed the lower wishbone/strut and hub, then something else isn't right. Obviously.
Throwing money at coilovers is a bad idea, as I'd rather know the cause than try to fix it like that.

My thoughts are potentially chassis damage. Especially if you have changed all the running gear on that side.

Great job mate looks fantastic (tw*t bulb lol)

Wish I could detail my car to a high level but will end up paying a professional to do it instead haha....

Cheers dude,
I'm no expert! just love the end product after you've done it yourself. Does look okay in the photos but covered in scratches! im probably going to pay to get it machine polished!

However, it won't be alot. You'd be better off with camber bolts. Cheaper too. And better than coilovers!

Either way, if you have excessive positive camber and you have already changed the lower wishbone/strut and hub, then something else isn't right. Obviously.
Throwing money at coilovers is a bad idea, as I'd rather know the cause than try to fix it like that.

My thoughts are potentially chassis damage. Especially if you have changed all the running gear on that side.

Wouldn't say its excessive, 0.25, but depending on what angle you look on the car it is noticable, and it does pull ever so slightly to the right.

Chassis damage sounds very intimidating :| and a very expensive fix if that were the case im guessing?

How would i be able to spot any damage?

Get under the car and have a good look!

.25 is alot.
Is that .25 of a degree or 25 minutes?

Wither way, if the other side has negative camber it will pull to the right regardless.

Didn't you notice this on your test drive?

Get under the car and have a good look!

.25 is alot.
Is that .25 of a degree or 25 minutes?

Wither way, if the other side has negative camber it will pull to the right regardless.

Didn't you notice this on your test drive?
#

don't know what you mean by 25minutes

On the sheet its got camber in red 0*25 it should be between -1*15 and 0*15

Didn't pull at all on the test drive, only after i got it tracked a week later when i got the new tyres on.

Just looked at the sheet and noticed the rear passenger side wheel has -2*02 camber which the garage didn't mention at all.
Wonder what thats a bout. Ill get a pick uploaded now of the tracking sheet

IMG_2038.jpg

I Don't really understand it, other than before had much more red numbers than after. lol Just the front right and rear left . No idea what to think after just seeing that the rear left is well out . Not sure why the garage failed to mention that one.

Rear camber isn't adjustable as standard, so you will need rear camber arms to make that right.
No coilover will provide that!

As for the front...

I'd be investigating damage.

Yeah forgot you can buy buy coilovers with adjustable top mounts

Nice car matey, definatly looks nice and original........... that red Corsa looks smart too, its the wheels that make it i think!

I've got the AEM CAI on my Civic however, does make a nice noise when VTEC kicks in etc i must say!

Nice car matey, definatly looks nice and original........... that red Corsa looks smart too, its the wheels that make it i think!

I've got the AEM CAI on my Civic however, does make a nice noise when VTEC kicks in etc i must say!

Cheers mate :) yea miss the Corsa in a way because it was so different!

My aem has jus arrived now!, yea looking forward to to here he vtec cross over point!. Is the hydro locking issue really that big of a deal? Read the instructions and says you should take of off in "bad weather conditions". I'm guessing its fine in the wet ***?

When i bought my Civic the AEM was already fitted and at that time I had no knowledge or understanding of them, i drove the car home on the 3+ hour journey most of which was in heavy rain and it was fine, only read about the hydro lock thing later and though 'OH' lol!! I'm guessing its just standing water that would cause the biggest issue but i don't plan on driving it through a ford!

Others will be able to advise better however!

When i bought my Civic the AEM was already fitted and at that time I had no knowledge or understanding of them, i drove the car home on the 3+ hour journey most of which was in heavy rain and it was fine, only read about the hydro lock thing later and though 'OH' lol!! I'm guessing its just standing water that would cause the biggest issue but i don't plan on driving it through a ford!

Others will be able to advise better however!

That sounds ok, don't plan going in any deep water any time soon and never have done, so shouldn't be a problem touch wood.

Coilovers are on backorder at work should get them end of this week or sometime next week latest, i know it isn't going to fix the issue but was going to get them at some point anyway. So may as well get it now, at least so i can get it tracked properly. I'll take it to honda when i get a chance so give it a full inspection.

So anyway, got a couple of packages in the post :cool: and got some piaa flat blades from work. (Defo worth the money)

IMG_2021.jpg

What could these be..
IMG_2019.jpg

Heko Wind deflectors
IMG_2020.jpg

And :rolleyes:
IMG_2040.jpg

Had to open it up and have a look even though probs won't be fitted untill next week
IMG_2041.jpg

And this made me lol
IMG_2043.jpg

Deflectors & wipers are now fitted, but no pics atm.
Also found a set of hids lying around and luckily were the right bulb type, so fitted them as well.
Right pain in the arse to fit!

Couple of interior Pics
IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

Thinking about wrapping the centre console and other silver trim with carbon wrap to go with the mugan gear knob i also got, But only if i can find the gloss carbon wrap. Not a fan of the matt version.

Thats it for now

Last edited by a moderator:
Some nice upgrades there! :D

How did you get on with the wind deflectors? I got some Team Heko ones for mine as soon as i got the car but tried fitting with clips, without clips, you name it, the drivers window wouldn't shut properly and nearly came off the runner so they've been laying in the garage ever since!! Shame, as they DID look good!

Some nice upgrades there! :D

How did you get on with the wind deflectors? I got some Team Heko ones for mine as soon as i got the car but tried fitting with clips, without clips, you name it, the drivers window wouldn't shut properly and nearly came off the runner so they've been laying in the garage ever since!! Shame, as they DID look good!

Cheers man.
Popped straight in mate, had no idea how the clips were meant to work ***, had a diagram with them and it looked like you're meant to push them into the window seam, but couldn't get them in, just chucked them in the end. Took 30 seconds to put the deflectors in each window, took the tape thing off and just kept my window closed for a day after i fitted so they'd stick properly and they're pretty rigid now!

Ill get some pics this weekend. Bit of rubbish when i go to work when its dark and then come home when its dark!

Ahh thats what a lot of people say, how easy it is! With mine, it was easy to slot them in but then the window wouldn't shut without slowing right down and didn't want to strain the motor......... the tape wasn't strong enough so pulled it all off and used my own double sided, then tried the clips, they do go in the window to widen the gap where the window goes but you need to push them in really hard, i did it with a flat head screwdriver. Did that and the window still wouldnt shut properly! Never mind lol! :D

Back