• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Custom prototype induction kit! R-spec **UPDATE**page 1

No, fair play to you fella. I can see what you're talking about. It's just your "a box is just a box" comment seemed a little naive.

I'm genuinely interested in this experiment and I'll be keeping an eye on it to see you progression.

No, fair play to you fella. I can see what you're talking about. It's just your "a box is just a box" comment seemed a little naive.

I'm genuinely interested in this experiment and I'll be keeping an eye on it to see you progression.

Sweet! Thanks mate. I'll sure keep you guys up to date and hope for a few ponies myself ofcourse. I know I can never beat a GruppeM, but I'm confident a horse or 5 is possible. Too bad it will be for late december to find out :( Going to Egypt next week with the lady and weeks after having too busy at work :(

I got myself a hondata thermal gasket, I know it wont give me 2hp like some claim, but with the Euro being strong again, it was a cheap buy in the USA so no worries there.

Now my idea was, how about a throttle body upgrade while we're at it?

I'm not saying a 500£ Spoon model as it is rip-off again in my opinion, but how about taperboring it myself (no doubt I can find a guy who has the machinery to do so costing less than 20£ instead of spending 500£.

To eliminate any "don't touch that!!" in advance =>

Here is perhaps a little upgrade over the spoon model.

Using advanced imaging technologies (MS Paint) and a heavy industrial calculator (google calculator) I came up with a solution to improve airflow by no les than 0.57% using countersunk head bolts.

If the taper-boring is no option,

how about just a bolt upgrade (costs 1,50£), cooling bypass and body polish? Sounds reasonable?

People do go as far as putting those screws in, and knife edging the butterfly. Althoug it's a lot of effort & you will see minimal gains, if any.

Bored out throttle bodies from Spoon etc are tapered. If you're going to bore the whole thing, then you will need to port match the entrance on the inlet manifold, otherwise it's a waste of time.

I was told about someone who had a full engine build, fitted those shorter screws on the butterfly, went for a drive, a screw got loose, went into the engine, and destroyed it. Locktite FTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
People do go as far as putting those screws in, and knife edging the butterfly. Althoug it's a lot of effort & you will see minimal gains, if any.

Bored out throttle bodies from Spoon etc are tapered. If you're going to bore the whole thing, then you will need to port match the enterance on the inlet manifold, otherwise it's a waste of time.

I was told about someone who had a full engine build, fitted those shorter screws on the butterfly, went for a drive, a screw got loose, went into the engine, and destroyed it. Locktite FTW.

Thanks for the advice James.
I realised a 50cent screw can wreck the engine, locktite is a must indeed, was planning on doing so anyway :) (IF I were to replace screws)

But does anyone know if the OEM throttle body is tapered or straight? Can't bother right now to take a look... So if anyone perhaps knows.
Second, is the spoon body's outer diameter increased to 70, keeping the butterfly at 67mm (if I'm not mistaken) or is the butterfly replaced by a 70mm and the outer diameter let's say... 72mm ?

Thanks

OEM TB is straight.

Spoon's TB entrance is 70mm ID. But it tapers down to more or less OE spec by the time it meets the inlet manifold.

Here's a pic of the Tracy Sports TB VS and OEM one which I had on my EP3;

4266276711_d07897db0e_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice info James

Any feel-able gains? I know there are no 1000 horses to be gained, but perhaps a little better throttle response, cleaner combustion... ? Anything, worth the effort?

I also found out the newest spoon model tapers in until the butterfly, then tapering out again from butterfly to inlet.
>>> http://www.icbmotorsport.com/spb70thbo.html

I remember from my days of 2stroke engine tuning (years ago), this so called venturi-effect indeed improved performance by forcing air through smaller area, thus accelerating the flow. So at this point, spoon actually does a fine job in my opinion, and might outperform the cheaper TB's, however, I can not confirm :)

Throttle response improved, that's all I can say about it really. No real power increase.

Cool, thanks for that piece of info mate :)

Perhaps used on RBC/... results might be more statisfying, justifying the cost buying- or hassle making an own TB

OOOo I know where there is some awesome information on throttle body modification. It's in Visards A-series tuning book, he did an update for the injection mini's and had a throttle body section, he did the knife edging, csk screws and bigger bore and then did bench flow tests on them using a modified cylinder head flow bench. Not something I know much about as I run a weber45. I will try and get some scans for you if you're interested?

New update on page 1, box is 95% completed,
needs some minor changes and a decent brace to mount it to the engine but it has run already!

Idle was really low nearly stalling the engine?

Sounds like it's starved of air, and now running rich.

Or too much air and running lean... ?

It was the first few miles, it's fixed now. It fixed itself. I'll do some more testing tomorrow, use my OBDII scantool to see if there is something wrong or not.
Doubt there's a flaw since the car runs alot better now using this airbox.
I'll could reset the ECU tomorrow en let it self learn it's Idle settings to be sure. Should have done it right after fitting but didn't think of it then :)

I forgot to mention, it's not like it was idling at 400rpm all the time, idle was fine +-750 but it dropped a few times after revving and letting off the throttle.

eg. reving up to 3000 in neutral, then letting go of the throttle made the idle drop to around 400 I'd say, for half a second, then go back up to 750, running smooth.
And after few miles was gone.

OK, that shows the car has noticed a change. Best get it on the dyno to make sure it's a good change.

OK, that shows the car has noticed a change. Best get it on the dyno to make sure it's a good change.
Too bad I have to cross the channel to get it dyno'd ;)
I'll have it mapped in july, And I always carry my OBDII scantool in the car if some error pops up.

Interesting results there, but WTF is that, my God it looks ridiculous.

Back