• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cylinder 2 misfire (EP3 CTR 02)

Engine management light came on the other day after noticing over the last week or so that the car struggles on initial idle ramp up. The car is fine once warm and runs totaly fine.

I swapped coil pack from cylinder 2 to 3 to see if code would shift cylinder but it didnt.

I am now going to check the plug, when i get a skinny socket peice to go down in the top of the head. But if the plug sparks fine does anybody know what this problem could be or has anybody had something similar before??

Thanks guys

Thanks,

I would never have thought that to be one of the syptoms or causes. What would be best way to confirm if it is the timing belt?

Cheers

A stretched chain would cause a problem on all 4 cylinders bud

I it's not the spark, it's got to be fuel or compression.

Could be an injector fault, could be worn piston rings, could be a leaking gasket.

Yeah that sounds more like it.

When i check the plug, if seems ok i will have to get a compression test done i think.

Hopefully its the plug :).

When i first bought mine it didnt idle right but ran well
Was down on power but all worked and vtec kicked in so i used that to drive the price down

All that it was, was rank spark plugs
All was fine after

Yeah, mine idles and runs fine when warm, it literally chokes when cold and ramping up to 2000rpm which it never use to do.

I will check the plug first thing in the morning. if the plug is fine then im going to get a compression test kit off Ebay.

Cheers

If the plugs fine it might be a injector like stoo said
My fiesta ran really bad fine when cold just never had power and stalled alot
I bought it with a missfire cheap
The guy had put the 1.6 injectors on the puma engine when changing the engine
So it was never getting enough fuel when warm
All sensors are linked

So cleaning all them out might help

Good point, could be a faulty injector for that cylinder.

I've never really checked or done any work on injectors before, do you know the easiest way to diagnose a bad injector?

Would injector or fuel system not have also flagged up on the diagnostic as well?

Cheers

Not always on diagnostics
Mine was easy as they were the wrong colour
On yours swap it with another
Then reset diagnostics take for a run then rediagnose
If it is injector im guessing a air line would be ok to clean it out
Or buy 1 if there reasonable
Fuel rail could also be blocked for that injector but thats less likley

Had a look at my plugs today and they were fine, i now need to check the injector! I also have a compression kit on its way.

Aside this, when i was running the car today the temperature went higher than normal and the fan didnt kick in?? My passenger headlight bulb stopped working last night and when i checked it today the whole wiring plug that you push onto the bulb was melted :-(.

Could this have perhaps knocked the fuse for the fan somehow? I will try and get a pic posted of the plug.

Why does all **** come at once....

Cheers

It could of tripped the fuse.
The overheating could be a broken fan. Rig up a power and earth from battery and see if it works
Maybe could be the thermostat or the fan switch sensor
I have never heard of the plug melting before. Try ebay for the plug part
First i would check the fuses
Then see if the fan works
If these are both ok fan wise then it may be the switch sensor and possibly thermostat
Thermostat might not be the problem but my bmw overheated all the time at one stage and it was the thermostat. The fan stopped working now and again but i think it tripped due to the heat
If you drain the coolant to change the sensor its worth while doing this as well
Hope this helps

Back