• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cylinder 3 missfire

Hi
I recently purchase 2005 ep3. To cut the story short my mechanic service the car after the service i took it for a test drive engine light came on saying cylinder 3 missfiring. Could it be a faulty spark plug. The car mileage 102k its a bit noisey so i was thinking timing chain.
Would the timing chain bring this fault code at all?

Please any feedback would help cheers

Forgot to mention i i put back the old spark plugs and reset the fault code but after few days engine light os on again.

Possibly, but you would expect all cylinders to be missing if the timing was out.

Likely a faulty sensor or spark issue. Check the plug is getting spark, compare same plug on a different coil to ensure no obvious difference in strength of spark.

I think you will find the cam position sensor code will be flagged with a stretched chain. It's probably a coil pack or spark plug. Were they changed at service? Not sure if a tight valve clearance would bring this on but doubtful.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A streched chain will normally pull up a fault of incorrect phase between the cam & crank sensor
As for the missfire on No 3 cylinder , swop No 3 & 4 plugs then see if the missfire moves to No 4 if not then swop No 3 & 4 coil packs & see if the missfire moves to No 4

As suggested, swapping the pack from 3 & 4 would be my first port of call.

Just quick update
I changed all the spark plugs and swap no 3 and no 4 coil i was surprise with the result actually.
Its now
Multiple cylinder missfire
Cylinder 3 and 4 missfire

Any feedback would help cheers

That's very odd. Might sound silly... but are you connecting the coils propperly? You really have to shove the fcukers on. They should click into place.

Coil 3 is knackered then surely unless you reset the ECU codes in between?

Hi
Quick update
I decided to replace the timing chain and drop my car to the garage . Now i got an update from my mechanic saying that the chain has jump a tooth so the timing is slightly out (probably the reason is missfiring) I will collect the car tommorow and test drive it....finger cross its all sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the test drive i drove it back home and plug my ecu reader and is miss firing again. So changing the timing chain did not resolve the problem.

Yes the car is running fine now. The timing chain was streched. I didnt change the coil because when i swap the coils around it didnt make difference it still missfires to the same cylinder. The timing was out causing it to missfire.

Back