• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

D2 330mm Big Brake Kit, need new pads...

Hi all,

Well my D2's have started squeeking, and vibrating when I brake, so I had a look at my Pads, and they need changing.

Shocking really as they have only covered 9000 miles.

Disks and Calipers are fine, just the Pads that came with the kit have worn stupidly quickly.

Time to start searching for a set of better pads that will fit in the 8 pots..... Joy.

Whys that?

He doesn't like D2 stuff.

Front what I've heard though the D2/K-sport brakes are pretty good.

Another vote for DS2500s from me. I think they are about £190 for that size of caliper, well they are on the Stoptechs anyway.

Ahhh fair enough. To be honest there are a lot of D2 haters about. When I was looking for a BBK I was looking at a few different brands, obviously the D2 kit was the cheapest I could find new, I could have bought a second hand kit cheaper, but I wanted a brand new kit.

I could only find 1 bad story about the D2 kit and that was an Evo in America, but he had only bolted the extension plates on hand tight and hadn't tightened it up to the required Torque setting.

The only problem I have had is the wear, I think 9k miles is a bit quick for any pads to wear down, but I knew I would have to change them before I did a Track day, so its only a few months before I would have changed them anyway.

Im going to phone ferodo on Monday to get a price for the pads. They do do a set that will go straight in, so its just making sure I get the right ones.

Tom (TGM Tom) set D2 brakes on fire on the road.

Their camber arms on the rear rust and seize.

Their coilovers seize, rust and fall apart.

They are cheap and nasty, and will fall apart. I'd personally want a decent brand for something as important as brakes.

I dont know anything about their other products, but Ive had my brakes on for 9 months and have had no problems, Im not saying they are the best by any means, like I said the Pads have worn down after 9000 miles, I wouldn't use them again.

Also I didnt use the hose's in the Kit, I bought some Goodridge Hose's, just for the quality.

Rubbish pads.

To be fair the axis pads that come with the Stoptechs are supposed to be very soft.

In that case, I would find myself asking "If they CBA to supply a decent set of pads, what else has been skimped on?". There's no point having a recipe for an exquisite dish and then making it with dog meat.

I had a Stoptech kit on my 530d, the Axxis ULT's it came with lasted considerably longer than that...circa 20k IIRC. It's not like I'm light on brakes either.

Yeah 9k on a set of pads is terrible, unless you spend all day with your foot on the brake. :lol:

I wouldn't trust a D2 piece of equipment with my life so I wouldn't have their brakes fitted.

I think I may have realised why they have worn in 9k miles. Have a look at the picture below (taken minutes after a Bus forced me into a curb)

22082011130.jpg

When I got the Kit the instructions stated that the disc's could be fitted either way round, the way I have fitted them with the gooves going into the centre of the disc apparently gives harder braking and help to release dust by pushing it to the centre of the wheel where it can escape, as opposed to pushing dust to the outside of the disc letting it collect in the caliper.

I could have fitted the disc's the opposite way around, which doesn't give as good braking, pushes the dust to the caliper and probably saves on pad wear.

My driving technique is aggressive, I do tend to brake late and hard when pushing the car, but up until the pads going I haven't had any reason to doubt them, they have never let go or, faded or smoked, even with the Supercharger fitted.

Im getting some DS2500's on thursday, so I will have an update then. Instead of fitting them myself, which I would normally do, Im going to get them fitted and ask the mechanic just to have a look over the calipers and disc's just to be on the safe side.

No thats true, i haven't done a track day in it yet either. I was going to change the pads before then anyway. I'll see how I get on with the DS2500's. Hopefully its just a case of **** pads with the kit.

Back