• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Dc sports race header

Hey was after a little advise on the emissions test as I'm looking At getting a dc sports race header.. So was wondering if anyone has fitted one an passed an mot with having that mod on.. Just don't wanna f@@k about changing a manifold over an putting the cat back on for the mot.. Any imput would be great thanks

It won't pass the emissions test with a decat header.

As above they only way round it is a friendly MOT tester (which are getting rare),
Swapping manifold over with OEM come MOT time,
Or run a sports cat, however, people running sports cats have sometimes had issues.

Thanks for the advise.. Don't know any friendly mot testers an like you say def getting rare will I see a good gain if I just go for a nice header with out decating it? Coz after I've done that wanna get the k100 an then get it tuned

You will get gains, you'll be better off finding one with a sports cat but fit the header and get a k100 tune at the same time. Not only will it save a little £ but the car won't run right without a map with a header plus it could damage your engine due to incorrect fuelling.

Induction and catback is fine without mapping but header and/or intake manifold require mapping not only for reasons above but also to get the best out of the mods.

I have a Piper Header, Sports Cat and Cat Back with a Tegiwa Induction kit and a K100 fitted and remapped by tdi north, I got 234 bhp and was told I could get 240 bhp with a skunk 2 inlet manifold. The only issue I had was the guys at tdi north slated my Piper header so might be worth contacting them first for advice.... I wish I did.

Ahh ok cool what advice did they give you for a header? I'm thinking now whether to go for a de cat pipe.. Pretty easy to quickly swap the cat over rather then do the whole lot... An was told on here that sometimes there are probs with the sports cats as well.. dont mind about the noise factor seeing as it helps drown the missis out when she's having a moan lol

I was going to say Piper the other option is the hugely expensive Mugen, don't know of any more headers with sports cat.

@benztyper what's wrong with the Piper? I thought it was decent. I was going to go for the same set up as you, Piper manifold with sports cat and piper catback, how is the set up performance and noise wise?

If money was no object I'd def go for something like mugen.. Been looking at the piper today I can't see how it's a bad manifold.. So yeah be nice to know what they said about it exactly..

Yeah Mugen would be the one if you had the £££, I've only heard good things about the Piper, people have run it on supercharged ep3's without issues.

But TDI North are one of the leading tuners in the U.K so it would be interesting to get their view.

Piper isn't a great header for NA applications, the primaries are too short in design. Doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with a JRSC'd car. I've heard piper sports cats can fail too. Any 200 cell sports cat should pass easily, 100 cell and you'll have to get a lot of heat into it and hope for the best.
I have a supersprint header, like mugen and piper it had a sports cat option. I only have the detachable decat section, before you ask the sports cat is around £900 but I purchased a universal 200 cell sports cat and made a section that fitted in its place with flanges each side. The sports cat cost £74 but if you intend to run one permanently I would purchase a higher quality one that is more likely to last.
Fitted mine for the MOT then returned the decat on. Only trouble is they're too long and/or wide to fit in some places of your exhaust system. I've also seen someone fit a sports cat at the end of their sports header so this is possible. Or somewhere in the b pipe. Ideally you want it detachable and replace the decat after the MOT. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions but once you've established it is small enough, it's an easy job for any welder.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to find one to run permanently so I wouldn't have to do all the swapping that's why I thought the Piper would be a good option.

Maybe it would be better to keep OEM header and cat or would it be worth changing to a DC5 header and cat?

Wow it's been interesting reading all this info you guys have an been great reading it. Helped me decide what my next plans are which is getting my k100 ecu reflash from cpl hopefully next week then gonna decide which header then de cat so I can just swap over with no effort come not.. Then it's really into big money as in cams intakes an god the list goes on an on lol

Just be looking at the skunk 2 alpha header.. Anyone got any opinion on these? Not much price difference on the piper something one hundred squid

Back