• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 Owners

Why are so many dc2 owners so snobby when it comes to cars?

A major example is when it comes to ep3s. A conversation between a dc2 owner and an ep3 owner will go something like this (and I know this from personal experience):

ep3 guy: Wow, you have an Integra!
dc2 guy: Yeah. Way better than that thing you've got. I mean, I've got LSD, it's Championship White, with white alloys, I have proper racing seats, mine actually handles AND it's way more raw! Infact, proper Honda enthusiasts would just laugh at you.
ep3 guy: Oh.
dc2 guy: Infact, your Civic is, well, a Civic! Hah!

Seriously, a dc2 owner actually said pretty much all of that to me when I struck up a conversation about cars. He then went on to say how the Civic Type-R isn't "worthy" of the Type-R badge because, shock horror, it's not as noisy as a dc2!

Tell the truth - is it because you're annoyed that you have an older, cheaper car, so you have to justify it by belittling newer cars?

I'm not even trying to be spiteful or anything - I have a Civic Type-R and am currently contemplating trading in for a dc2 myself. I have driven a dc2 (Krysiz's) and the feel of it is much better than my Civic, although I didn't really like the feeling of the pedals or the gearbox (probably me not used to them). The only thing putting me off is the amount of miles I do.

Hmm lets just take the above in the light that you are being serious and not just trying to be confrontational....

I will argue (being an EP3 owner) that the EP3 is tbh not really deserving of an R badge, and is in fact a marketing excersise in helpng to sell more Hondas to an ever younger market, and to help make the marque appear more cool to the mainstream. On that level looking at cars sold it has been a succsess.

It is by no means raw enought to be a true 'R' if you take Hondas own definition of the concept. Does that make it a bad car, no of course not. Infact the very fact that it is a tad softer was one of the reasons I got it as it is just easier to live with day in and out than the dc2. However in everyway that matters as far as a purely driving experience the DC2 is better in everyway than the EP3. As far as performance, handling feel, telegraphing its intentions to the owner. And 'fun' factor. But you of course know this if you have driven one :D

Of course if we had been given the same spec as the JDM EP, things would be a 'tad' closer. After all the JDM car is a bit rawer, firmer chassis, stiffer anti roll bars, LSD, closer gear ratios Recaros etc etc, though it still has that gawd awfull steering feel....

If you have issues with the DC2 owners however then that is I am affraid down to the individual. I know just as many EP3 owners that sneer (as I said tongue in cheek before) at Saxo, Clio etc drivers...

so we are all guilty of it.

agree with horrific apart from the older cheaper thing

1) it was originally a more expensive car, i only got a grand back for my civic with 40,000 and my dc2 has done 90,000.

2) it may be older but it has a better quality interior and less rattles and feels more comfortable at low speeds.

anyway whats making you post this, was it just that adam guy or is it someone else?

It's that guy I spoke to ages ago but also the general attitude of many dc2 owners.

I think the ep3 is worthy of the Type-R badge. Why? Because for a Civic in 2001, it is pretty damned focused.

Think about it. Nowadays, you expect all the extras as standard and maximum comfort. If you want performance, just buy the one with the turbo on it. Not so with the Civic - air con not even standard on the top notch Civic?

Not to mention the performance which still (around the track) pretty much beats every other hot hatch out there.

So I think they've stripped it out as much as they could get away with in this day and age. Just wish we had LSD on ours :)

Don't forget, some people think the CRX is way more "raw" and involving than the dc2.

Do you sneer at other car owners? I don't... only if they're being a cocky twat, i.e. (yeah my 1.2 Corsa could have that Type-R any day etc).

HorrificVTEC said:
Tell the truth - is it because you're annoyed that you have an older, cheaper car so you have to justify it by belittling newer cars? .

Or you could put a twist on it that CTR drivers, and yes i used to be one, get defensive over an older cheaper car being more capable from the factory?

I like both cars, just prefer my DC2 for driving fun now.

i'd like to try a crx but they aren't as capable in terms of performance etc but, yeah raw as sushi though :lol:

I know what you are saying, and taking into account modern owners needs, and current buying markets. BUT that is exactly the point. the current CTR IS a compromise, just in the same way that the DC2 was uncompromised. Compared to other cars they CTR is focused, but compared to the DC2, which we are here...it is not AS focused.

The whole point of the DC2 is summed up by Tsuchiyas comments, with the DC2 you get the impression for a FWD car that it is designed to be as focused as it is possible to be, even at the cost of certain levels of refinement, whereas the CTR is not. This does not make the CTR any less of a car. And I can forgive the Civic its many foibles. However above all else a 'drivers' car HAS to telegraph it's intentions to the driver, give him or her as much feedback as possible. In this the CTR falls sadly short. It is set to be easy to drive by the majority of folk who will end up buying it.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Honda wanted to they could have made the CTR as focused as the DC2 (even allowing for modern crash, emisions requirements etc etc, It just would not have sold as many units; or fit in with thier then, marketing plans.

dotty said:
Well said G.

nah, Hasnic made me say all that as he said he had 'The Goods' on me, whatever that may mean :shock: And he is twice my size :( :wink:

HASNIC said:
Or you could put a twist on it that CTR drivers, and yes i used to be one, get defensive over an older cheaper car being more capable from the factory?

I hope that's not an accusation... I'm currently torn as to whether to change to a dc2 myself!

HorrificVTEC said:
HASNIC said:

I hope that's not an accusation... I'm currently torn as to whether to change to a dc2 myself!

Not at all, but i get some very "down the nose looks" from EP3 drivers on the whole, alot of them seem to think "why has that car got a type-r sticker on it" so it works both ways fella, just though i would add a different view point on it!

Fire_2 said:
dc2/5 owners seem ok to me but jeez the s2000 owners, now thas another story

Tru dat, fire......I went along to an S2k meet year befor last and we asked on the forum if we could tag along, and we were all but ignored, but I guess that is Essex for you :D

Think i'll take my DC2 to the next S2000 meet I go to then :)

TBH it's probably as quick as my S2000 if not possibly a bit quicker.

Fire_2 said:

ep3 guy: Wow, you have an Integra!
dc2 guy: Yeah. Way better than that thing you've got. I mean, I've got LSD, it's Championship White, with white alloys, I have proper racing seats, mine actually handles AND it's way more raw! Infact, proper Honda enthusiasts would just laugh at you.
ep3 guy: Oh.
dc2 guy: Infact, your Civic is, well, a Civic! Hah!

I can honestly say I have never said that!

CTR is still aprt of the typr r family!

I just have to laugh when i see that clio i a;ways see on way to work with a type r badge on the side!!! :lol:

The thing I don't get is if people say a CTR and ATR aren't real type R's then that leaves the ITR and about 25 NSX's. Wow what a great niche market. Don't get me wrong, the ITR is great but is it realler much better than the CTR ??

Besides my standard NSX is quicker than an NA1 NSX, so that should be a type R as well then.

I've never understood the 'rivalry' between the various Honda model owners :?

The cars are all different. Aimed at different people, and they're for different purposes. It's ludicrous to compare an NSX to anything else in the range, because there isn't another mid engined Rwd supercar in the entire lineup.
Ditto the S2000....there isn't another convertible.
And the ITR....it's a coupe with a huge boot.
And the CTR...it's a hatchback, and it's much more comfy for commuting than an ITR (for example).

They're all (bar the NSX) pushing in the region of 200bhp....horses for courses. No reason to be a snob about it...

WRumbled said:
Fire_2 said:
I agree, we're all a bunch of c :smt091:smt091 ts

A bit OTT that Spence. :?

I have met quite a few S2K owners and all of them have been car enthusiasts without being anything else. 8)

Back