• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 LSD used on EP3

Hi guys, have been offered one of these for sale, I am getting JRSC fitted in May and wanted LSD to enhance the traction. Is the DC5 LSD anygood or should I hold out for a Quaife item, also what is the second hand value of these roughly, the bloke is open to offers.

hold out for a Quaife, TBH

its an ok LSD, but loads guys in japaaaaan change them for a good aftermarket,

I would also would like to know for definite what BHP these are ok too as I have conflicting views at the minute.

I was told originally that its ok up to around 260bhp but the quaffe is guarenteed up to alot more (about 500 I think) but then the price comes into effect, the Quaffe is like £500 and the JDM LSD used I reckon around the £200-250 mark.

Send a pm to aurora on the other forum as he has a quaffe LSD yet to fit his car, and he is looking at selling the car so ;)

Carl

N77 said:
I would also would like to know for definite what BHP these are ok too as I have conflicting views at the minute.

I was told originally that its ok up to around 260bhp but the quaffe is guarenteed up to alot more (about 500 I think) but then the price comes into effect, the Quaffe is like £500 and the JDM LSD used I reckon around the £200-250 mark.

Send a pm to aurora on the other forum as he has a quaffe LSD yet to fit his car, and he is looking at selling the car so ;)

Carl

280BHP

Andy

Also, doesn't the Quaife item need some attention after so many miles? :?

I maybe wrong, but sure I read somewhere that it did.

SpaceMonkey said:

Nah the quaffe is fit and forget, the same with the JDM, its the Spoon one I think that requires attention every few miles, its also noisy too according to reports

Carl

N77 said:
SpaceMonkey said:

Nah the quaffe is fit and forget, the same with the JDM, its the Spoon one I think that requires attention every few miles, its also noisy too according to reports

Carl

Nice one, cheers Carl :wink:

I knew one of em needed some attention

chippyleigh said:
Hi guys, have been offered one of these for sale, I am getting JRSC fitted in May and wanted LSD to enhance the traction. Is the DC5 LSD anygood or should I hold out for a Quaife item, also what is the second hand value of these roughly, the bloke is open to offers.

If he's offering you it at a good price, buy it and then sell it on here if you want the Quaife LSD.

You may make a few quid :wink:

I got a delivery mileage JDM LSD for about £200 from TGM.

I've yet to read about anyone on the DC5 forum having trouble with the JDM LSD, so personally I reckon it'll last pretty well. Afterall, the gear box doesn't explode with 300bhp, so why should the LSD wear at such a higher rate?

If you do drag racing then sure Quaife is the way to go as it's standing starts that hammer the drivetrain, if not, well I'm expecting to have no troubles with JDM LSD once it's fitted, which will be some time in summer, after my N2 cams go in.

If I was getting a superchrager I think I'd go with Quaife though....

CTR_Paul said:
I got a delivery mileage JDM LSD for about £200 from TGM.

I've yet to read about anyone on the DC5 forum having trouble with the JDM LSD, so personally I reckon it'll last pretty well. Afterall, the gear box doesn't explode with 300bhp, so why should the LSD wear at such a higher rate?

If you do drag racing then sure Quaife is the way to go as it's standing starts that hammer the drivetrain, if not, well I'm expecting to have no troubles with JDM LSD once it's fitted, which will be some time in summer, after my N2 cams go in.

If I was getting a superchrager I think I'd go with Quaife though....

Its the tourqe of the S/C that kills the diffs.

Mind u as paul said, there are no cases of diffs breaking on the DC5 forum.

Andy

Andy

ts the tourqe of the S/C that kills the diffs.

Yer incresed torque will also smash drivetrains, over 300BHP and increased torque this is worth looking at

JDM LSD can just physically break, i think its got something to do with the way power can be transferred poorly through it if say a wheel gets lifted at full power over a crest and the other wheel stays in contact with the ground.

This is the same for the LSD in the DC2 and the EK9, they can break and will do so more eaily than a quaife but it's not that common :wink:

As others have said, if you are going F/I, then it is wise to build in a margain of safety. So I would go Quaife. I am only running low boost and would still go quaife.

The JRSC is booked for 24th May, I drive the car to Le Mans in June. When I get back I will look for new clutch/flywheel and do the Quaife LSD at the same time, I may as well do this as my clutch is less than 6 months old.

Thanks for the comments, oh and if anybody has a Quaife LSD sitting idle, I'm your man.

Back