• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Dead Battery

Riflez

$ Forum Pikey $
Car has been on the drive for about 3 weeks and rarely used in about the last two months due to work.

Came to start it and its dead.

Jumped her yesterday and let the engines run for about 10 minutes still connected then disconnected everything and tried to start..same problem.

I have a battery charger but I have never used one before. If I disconnect the battery from the car is the alarm going to have a shi7fit after prolongued disconnection (overnight charge)

Alarm is a Hamilton & Palmer.

Oh and a wierd thing, The car keeps unlocking itself. I have been using the key to lock it and keep coming back to find its unlocked. Oddly though the old dear came round a said when she unlocked her golf the lights on my car went too? wtf

Do you have a voltmeter? If the battery measures about 11V or less after a charge its pretty much dead. A healthy battery should be 12V and above.

And to save you on some homework if you need a new battery, halfords own brand are actually amongst the best you can get for the price. Just make sure the terminals are the right way around (as they are sometimes wrong).

Do you have a voltmeter? If the battery measures about 11V or less after a charge its pretty much dead. A healthy battery should be 12V and above.

And to save you on some homework if you need a new battery, halfords own brand are actually amongst the best you can get for the price. Just make sure the terminals are the right way around (as they are sometimes wrong).
The EP3 uses an odd sized battery and iirc someone got one the other week and it didn't fit.

Also whoever it was said the proper Honda one was cheaper than Halfords.

I'm gonna have a pop at charging it in situ, As long as the ignition is off it shouldnt be an issue to not disconnect the battery from the car..though might pull the fuse on the amp :lol:

Also whoever it was said the proper Honda one was cheaper than Halfords.

Yeah they are, they're about £50 or so... Halfords one is about £70 iirc?

I would definitely go for the halfords one as the honda one is pants. I've had nothing but trouble with mine. But no problems with the Halfords one at all. My dad also put a halfords one in his golf and its been going strong for the last 4-5 yrs.

Read a review in autoexpress last year and the halfords ones are very highly rated.

Ok so if I pull the battery is the alarm (hamilton & palmer) likely to go mental while I have it out for a night charging?

Hi,

I'm in exactly the same situ as you, went to use my car yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks and found the battery was flat :(

i've ordered one of these: http://www.ctek-chargers.co.uk/?gclid=CJ3Nq5aipZcCFQhdswodhzMbnw

hopefully should do the trick of maintaining the batt, i'm also gonna replace the battery for a new one because after they've become fully drained the life is effected.

hope you sort your pal :)

Just checked the price of a new battery for the Merc.............

£99 from Halfords, not even going to try MB them selves, trade card for the win.

The Honda ones come with a good guarantee, are often cheaper than Halfords and you know they will fit. Plus they come with the condition indicator.

Yea I was spurned into action when the alarm started going off at 5am sunday morning.

Disconnected the terminals and charged it in the bay till it went dark..started first time :cool:

Back