• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Diag Error P1298 and P0325

Hi All,

The engine light came on around 4 weeks ago and the diag codes showed up as P1298 (part number [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#38255-S5A-003) ELD over load voltage and P0325 which is the knock sensor.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I cleared the code and then yesterday they both came back.

I have ordered up a knock sensor which wasn't cheap and now i am wondering if i need to get an ELD as well which again isnt cheap.

Has anyone seen this before? Am i wasting money getting both or does one normally affect the other?

Thanks
[/FONT]

Sometimes a random code can come up when there is a problem, I've personally never heard of the ELD going.

I would buy the two because once you fit them you then know there right.

I get where your coming from genuine Honda sensors are expensive, I just paid over £200 for the secondary O2 sensor.

If you are intent on just changing one I would change the knock sensor first as they are known to fail over time, mine has just gone after changing the clutch.

Unfortunately I can't tell you that this will cure it as it maybe one or the other or both.

OK so I've worked out that the ELD P1298 is not setting off the engine management light so that could have been there for a while. In fact I suggest you all check as you could have it without realising.

The ELD sensor arrived today so I fitted it and the code dissappeared when I checked again as before it would show up immediately after clearing so that's now all fixed.

The knock sensor is a little more complex. About 4 weeks ago the engine light came on and I cleared it. A couple of days ago it came back on. I can only assume that it is the P0325 error that is causing the engine light to come on and it has an intermittent fault. I could just replace the sensor but I don't know if it's being knocked out by the overcharge of the now fixed sensor.... The knock sensor arrives tomorrow so in a way I may as well replace it... At least I'll know for sure and I'll be error free (until the next thing goes wrong that is)

I've never heard of the ELD going TBH but least you've sorted that, the knock sensor sounds like there is a fault there if the code keeps coming up, once you change that I'm sure it'll be fine.

You have to think that these cars are getting on a bit now, mine is 12 years old so things will start failing/breaking down eventually it's the joys of owning any car. Plus now winter has come the cold weather definitely tests them out.

Count yourself lucky, Honda's are known to be extremely reliable cars you could have a Ford and have all sorts of problems :lol:.

I count myself lucky to own a car that out performs most other things commonly seen on the road ;). Mine has just passed 130k. Ill do the knock sensor over the weekend, apparently its a right bitch to get to....

Check fuse under dash. I don't remember exact number, probably #15. I had similar symptoms and fuse was blown.

If it's an intermittent fault then it's probably not the fuse. Yep, change the knock sensor. As you say, it's certainly somewhere that you want peace of mind!

It still amazes me how much abuse my civic took. They're damn tough wee cars. Pretty much all the problems I had were sensor related, now that I come to think of it.

If it's an intermittent fault then it's probably not the fuse. Yep, change the knock sensor. As you say, it's certainly somewhere that you want peace of mind!

It still amazes me how much abuse my civic took. They're damn tough wee cars. Pretty much all the problems I had were sensor related, now that I come to think of it.

Yeah a few sensors have gone on mine recently, keep servicing etc and the engine will probably outlast the shell lol.

It is a bitch to get at it is directly under the inlet manifold.

Cheers for the opinions guys. The knock sensor has arrived but the EML hasn't come back yet and I give the car a good beasting this morning. I think, as you say, I'll replace it anyway. The power of the car seems a little more pokey now I've changed out the ELD sensor our.... Then again I could be imagining it :).

Now to look for videos on how to loosen off the manifold and replace that sensor....

Just to keep this post updated, I've not yet replaced the knock sensor and the fault has not yet returned..... Do you think I should save some money and send it back?....

Hi All,

The engine light came on around 4 weeks ago and the diag codes showed up as P1298 (part number #38255-S5A-003) ELD over load voltage and P0325 which is the knock sensor.

I cleared the code and then yesterday they both came back.

I have ordered up a knock sensor which wasn't cheap and now i am wondering if i need to get an ELD as well which again isnt cheap.

Has anyone seen this before? Am i wasting money getting both or does one normally affect the other?

Thanks

This explains how to change the ELD if you need to...

This might help... http://www.autocodes.com/p1298_honda.html

*UPDATE* I finally got round to doing this today and I have to say it was one of the toughest jobs I have had to do on this car.

The main thing is that I now have zero codes to worry about as I managed to complete the job singlehandedly beginning to end in around 7 hours. No matter what anyone tells you this is not a 2 hour job even if you have the right tools on a car that is 14 years old now.

The main problem is access and the best way to do it without interrupting too much stuff is to get in there from below and remove the bracket that is attached to the engine block and the inlet manifold. Make sure you removed the plastic under tray first though otherwise you will never get to it. You can see from the below pic why I decided that it wasn't the circuit and was certainly the sensor itself.....

You can see how much of a pain it is to get to here -

I'm glad I did it and it is done, I can now go about making it look shiny and new looking again like this -

Enjoy your cars guys and drive safe x

Last edited by a moderator:
Back