• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Different size front to back?

Just changing my front tyres and want some Toyo T1-Rs. Now they are £86 for the 215/40-17 from etyres.co.uk, £10 cheaper than the 205/45s.
My rear tyres still have plenty of life left, but are 205/45 (Michelin Pilots).

Is it ok to fit the different size front tyres, until I get the rear tyres changed to match, in say 6months?

yeah this is as far as i know perfectly legal to do and if needed should pass an MOT as long as the tyre sizes remain the same on both rear wheels and the same front wheels

Cheers, but got em fitted now anyway :D

Havent had much of a chance to test them out "properly", but have had a few corners where the back seemed to skip around slightly :shock: maybe its just me...

Scousefella said:
I am running 40's on the fronts and 45's on the rears. 8)

No probs. :wink:

I was told this was illegal? Thats the way I wanted the setup to go, but have been forced to have the 40s on the rear?

Superfli said:
Scousefella said:
I am running 40's on the fronts and 45's on the rears. 8)

No probs. :wink:

I was told this was illegal? Thats the way I wanted the setup to go, but have been forced to have the 40s on the rear?

Well they were fitted by a national tyre fitting workshop and no comments were made. :lol:

Well that means 99% of supercars are ilegal. Even VX220's and Elises have wider rears than fronts.

Gunn79 said:
Well that means 99% of supercars are ilegal. Even VX220's and Elises have wider rears than fronts.

I thought he ment the problem mite be with the different profile.

But saying that I know there are alot of supercars with larger rear wheels.

eg 19" front 20" rear.

Only problem could be that it could affect speedo reading. But then why would manufacturers offer wheel upgrades.

And if you meanwidth, defo no laws against! :smt023

L7 KVV said:
Only problem could be that it could affect speedo reading. But then why would manufacturers offer wheel upgrades.

And if you meanwidth, defo no laws against! :smt023

width and depth - 215/40s instead of 205/45s. Cant be bothered to swap em over, just wont use E-tyres again, as the advice they gave me sounds like it was b*llcks

Somethings not right with my tyres...

After having the tyres fitted, I initially thought I could feel the back end start to bounce, or try to slip away, but it was only once and thought maybe its just wearing in. Anyway, today joining the M3 from M25, I gave it a bit more right foot and the back started trying to bounce and seemingly wobble??! Needless to say, I respected the wobble, and eased off. I coudl imagine the back stepping out and then gripping, spinning me the other way :shock: :shock:

Has anyone else exprienced this with the T1-Rs? Is it my setup? I'll check the pressures in a min, and if they are ok, I'll swap the new tyres to the front as Scouse's setup.

Just checked the pressures and the back measured 35left and 25right??!!!
Fronts were a bit off too...
Now, I'm not too convinced by my pressure gauge (got it on the front cover of TWO magazine - looks a bit like it was made from faulty lollipop sticks), so went to the local garage for a double check. Well, I gave her a good blow :shock: , but its one of those automatic pressure inflators, ie you put your desired pressure in and it pumps the tyre to that pressure and stops. So I couldn't tell what pressure it was at, and it didn't sound like it put much air into any tyre.
Maybe my lolly stick is wrong.. I'll take a few fast corners tomorrow before swapping the wheels around

I have T1Rs on the front with Potenza on the rear (they are the standard size) and I have no problems with them. I would recommend that you swap the tyres over and but the gripier T1Rs on the front.

Its got to be worth a try if you have problems tomorrow. :D

Aeron said:
I have T1Rs on the front with Potenza on the rear (they are the standard size) and I have no problems with them. I would recommend that you swap the tyres over and but the gripier T1Rs on the front.

Its got to be worth a try if you have problems tomorrow. :D

Will do mate. I want it sorted before the Salisbury meet - otherwise, dont drive behind me :D

I got the front swapped to back the other day and its feeling loads better. That and the combination of checking and re-checking the tyre pressures sorted it out.
Extra grip on front = less understeer :D

sorry, missed this - I had this as well, which resulted in me almost totalling my car.... think it was because the rears were new, fronts were part worn, as they have settled down now. needless to say i won't be mixing tyres again

On a similar sort of note, but applicable to wheels - Oh, and I'm probably going to get panned for researching this as a potential move - but could I run wider, concaved wheels on the back of my EP3? I recognise (it's FWD etc. etc.)

:p:p:p:p

Like, I'm thinking 17x7 'flat-faces' on the fronts, with 17 x 7.5's/8's, concaved, on the back? Thinking about trying something different :lol: LOL

:D

TIA, I'm not adamant on the idea yet.. not, just, yet... :p:?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back