• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Discreet ice install.

My speakers on my ep3 are a joke and I think they must be blown. I'm looking to upgrade the whole lot but don't have a clue where to start. Don't want a boot full of subs or amps as the car has to remain practical. Also not looking to spend big money either perhaps second hand gear but with a £500 budget max including the headunit. I would also need it all to be fitted as I don't have the time/space/tools or skill required and don't want wires everywhere. Any ICE gurus out there done anything similar and if so could you recommend me a decent setup. Like I said not looking for window rattling bass or anything like that. Just something that I can turn up and enjoy when the weather/mood permits.Thanks alot

Hi mate, i show you my thread when the CTRO forum is back up. Basically I have a very discreet ICE install but the sound quality is second to none for the money. I spent around £700 without HU (but with Focal Underseat sub -£350 new). You won't regret it.

http://109.234.199.203/forum/viewto...nks+pics&sid=4c796e64714eac9bcf1dd40870cbc6cb

There is my thread.

I bought the HU seperately, the Kenwood DNX 5220BT,

Here is what I wrote when I advised someone buying double din:

I can help you with this as I was in the same predicment a year ago. I did alot oF reasearch into this and came to the Following conclusion:

Go For the Kenwood DNX series, the entry level is 52** series. There are 3 (soon to be 4) models based on the year it was released: 5220BT = 2008, 5240BT 2009, 5260BT-2010, 5280BT coming out soon. BT denotes bluetooth model

Despite being the entry level, it has a vast range oF Features:
- Garmin Sat Nav
- Parrot Bluetooth with external mic
- rear usb with wire so you route into glove box
- TV optional
- DVD
- 6.1 inch touch screen

I have the DNX5220BT [got mine From ebay a year ago] and have no regrets, I can take pics oF how it is Fitted iF you wish.
I would go For the DNX5240/60 maybe, so you can get a more up to date map. They cost £150 to updafte From garmin.

Here is the DNX 5260BT. http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -26022.htm

There is a DNX 7*** and 9*** series also, they have a larger screen and a bit more Features.

Let me know iF you have any questions. Apologies or the capital F, my F button is not working! arrhhh, had to ctrl v to get into this message.

Let me know what you think? In short though - go to Dalco (Steve runs it), he done a great job on my and many other cars.

looks oem - sounds great:lol:

yes about £750 from memory inc installation but without HU. Guess if you don't want the sub and have single din hu instead, it will be alot cheaper.

I think the sub is too expensive. Just a quick eBay check and I see cheaper underseat subs. Pioneer for example would be fine for me.

Don't forget to include cables and sound deadening into your budget. Sound deadening especially can make a huge difference to the quality of sound you get from your speakers. What I have in my car is a decent head unit, component speakers in the front and a sub in the boot all powered from one amp. Forget about rear speakers. I spent well over £500 but you can get a very good sounding system for £500, the key is the quality of the installation ;)

Where are you based?

totally agree Funky, I got sound deadening on mine. Also agreed re quality of installation is equally important.

Coventry west midlands and sometime Doncaster south yorkshire. Would the standard speaker cables need ripping out and replacing? Only want an underseat sub and amp don't want to see anything wires sub amp. Boot is off limits and budget would be minus head unit. I would try and source my equipment second hand. Sound suppression isn't expensive is it. Would want that also

Coventry west midlands and sometime Doncaster south yorkshire. Would the standard speaker cables need ripping out and replacing?

I would strongly recommend replacing all the speaker cables. If the boot is off limits you are going to have to find a place for an amp to run your front speakers, possibly under the front passenger seat.

Few observations from me doing an install on my CTR...

Get a piece of carpeted MDF and fix it to the back of the seat. Done properly you will lose very little in the way of boot space, and still have the option to drop the seats if you need to. Not a fan of amps under seats, rather get them out of the way.

Cabling and matting is the most time consuming part of an install, you will have to remove a lot of the interior and to do it properly and not damage anything you will have to take your time. I practically stripped my interior to fit mine save for the rear door cards and carpet.

Centre tunnel is a ball ache, you will probably end up snapping the retaining bolts under the rubber mat in the deep pocket as the ends are exposed to the elements. They rust, and the heads snap off. Be warned you may have to drill them out and re-tap or live with a slightly lose tunnel.

Matting is paramount, CTRs are like tin cans so matting the doors is a minimum IMO. That's all I did, would have done more if I could have lived with the cost, weight and extra effort lol.

Final point, MDF speaker mounting rings. Don't scrimp on these given how simple they are, Autoleads plastic adapters will work but making up a set won't cost you much and do the job much better.

Enjoy. :)

MOD EDIT

No selling outside of the classifieds, or before you reach the requirements to post ads in the For Sale section.

Back