• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Do I really need a sub?

I'm researching upgrading my speakers in my car. I planned to to just change my rears to Alpine 17cm SPR's and fronts to Alpine 17cm SPR components powered by a amp.

Speaking to some car audio guys they seem to think you need to run a sub to get the best sound? I didn't really want to have one but I do like my music so if it does make it that much better will be worth looking into.

It really depends on how much bass you want, you'll probably find that the alpines paired with a good amp will pump out a reasonable amount of bass on their own. If it's not enough you could always get a sub later?

id fit the speakers first mate, it is a fact that with a sub they will sound better ! but i cant imagine them sounding bad without 1 so id leave the sub till last

to get the full range of sound i believe you need a tweeter, a mid, and a low/sub, the tweeter for the high frequency range, the mids for the middle frequency range and a low/sub for the low frequency range.

but not a bad boy bass box with neon lights thumping so hard that no other sounds can be heard.

A 10" decent speaker in a small box set to compliment the highs and mids, almost richening the sound.

it also free's up the mid speakers to output the mid sounds only.

to get the full range of sound i believe you need a tweeter, a mid, and a low/sub, the tweeter for the high frequency range, the mids for the middle frequency range and a low/sub for the low frequency range.

but not a bad boy bass box with neon lights thumping so hard that no other sounds can be heard.

A 10" decent speaker in a small box set to compliment the highs and mids, almost richening the sound.

it also free's up the mid speakers to output the mid sounds only.

This is good advice. I wouldn't bother with rear speakers at all, waste of money. Mine are disconnected.

What is your budget?

as stated the rear speakers won't do much for the sound in the car.

a good set of front mids and tweeters and a 10" sub and amp will work well.

i went for a 10" alpine type r sub in a small custom box and it compliments the front sounds pretty well.

i am not sure how these sound but if space is a problem maybe one of these under the seat would suffice http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBWOOFER-Alp...nment_GPS_Car_Speakers_PP&hash=item45f9cea03e

Last edited by a moderator:
The Alpine SPR's are £150 so around that for each set. If there no need for rears then will spend more on better fronts.

Suppose if just running fronts can bridge the other two channels of the amp for a small sub

Allen_ are you still looking about for a sub??

I have a Vibe 10" sub for sale was in the 'for sale' section but had no intrest so after the allocated time it was removed.

I can post pictures for you this afternoon if your intrested,

Its a great little sub and gives brilliant bass and as its a 'active sub' it comes with volume and bass controls built in.

I bought it brand new and its still in perfect condition!

Let me know

Cheers

Gareth

Talked my self out of it for now. Will upgrade the speakers an amp them and see how I feel

Thanks anyways

I uprated the speakers in mine for some JBL GTO speakers (front and rear) and I must say the sound improvement is much better than the standard speakers (they literally are like paper... :evil:)

Did you have a sub previously?

I used to have a fully uprated sound system in my old car and missed the extra bass initially but then got used to it... However to compliment the new speakers I do need a bit more bass! I don't want anything to BOOMY (as I'm getting old :lol:) So I ordered one of these...

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-ts-wx210a_p-25931.htm

Comes with a built in amp and all the wires you need... also as it's much smaller than a traditional setup it shouldn't take up much room in the boot (or under the seat if you can get it to fit ;) )

I know you've made your mind up for now but I'd seriously recommend the above if you want something a little more punchy than just speakers :)

Cheers Ash.
Someone at work mentioned these. Let me know how you get on with it.
That would be good as would take up no room at all in my boot. Might even put it under the floor as I have no spare wheel

Cheers Ash.
Someone at work mentioned these. Let me know how you get on with it.
That would be good as would take up no room at all in my boot. Might even put it under the floor as I have no spare wheel

Allen,

JamesT and his mate helped me fit the sub yesterday and I am really impressed with it...

I also took a few pics last night (sorry not best quality)
231127_10150169539212934_638462933_7050640_3725621_n.jpg

229332_10150169539477934_638462933_7050641_573471_n.jpg

As you can see takes up barely any room!!

I'd also like to add that you do infact need to buy another cable (RCA lead) to fit this :)

Back