• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

do i really need camber arms

hi guys, i know this has been covered many times before but i just wanted to know if i really need camber arms. i have completely standard suspension and i have read a few threads that suggest that you dont need them for minor adjust on the rear unless lowered. can anyone clear this up for me please. can i get away with just front camber bolts?

thanks

Unless your rear tyres are scrubbing unevenly due to the poor factory set up then i wouldn't bother on any camber adjustment.

Are you trying to do FRSU on the cheap?

If you just set the car up on the front, the front will grip and the back will be its usual snappy self.

So think about it, you'll be able to put more cornering force on the car on the front and the back won't have been adjusted to suit. It will unbalance the car.

If you aren't trying to do the FRSU and you aren't lowering it then you don't really need camber bolts or arms, though it's the first mod I'd recommend to anyone to be honest, lowered or not.

+1

Ive had a few FRSUps, the first one I had I only had the front done. Whilst it was a big improvement over OEM in terms of steering response/turn-in, I was gobsmacking at the difference a full FRSU with rear camber made. The car now inspires much more confidence, I too would reccomend it to anyone as a first mod.

thanks for the replies

no im not trying to do the fast FRSU on the cheap. i believe you get what you pay for and i ways go for the most expensive parts i can afford. i just found conflicting information when i did the search and thought if the car wasn't lowered then i may not need them.

does the FRSU help with wheelspin at all? i already have a differential installed and im trying to reduce it as much as possible. i looked into the engine mount inserts but from what i found it doesn't reduce wheelspin it just makes it less obvious in the cabin.

thanks

If anything it'll increase wheelspin from a standstill. Technically you're reducing the contact patch of the tyre when they're pointing straight.

The big improvement comes in the twisties, where your contact patch is increased and therefore wheelspin reduced.

As for engine mounts, they would probably increase it from a standstill also... but we're talking minute fractions here. Once you're moving I doubt engine mounts would have any effect on wheel spin at all.

It's not really a mod that is focussed on wheel spin, it's about maximising grip under load. THE best thing you can do to reduce wheelspin is treat your car to the stickiest rubber you can find.

thank you for the reply hazz.

i have just fitted some goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 tyres to the front yesterday and even though they are new the difference can be seen. when i bought the car it had michelin exalto's on the front and evergreen eu72 on the rear, so i have put the michelins on the rear and goodyear's on the front.

Back