• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Do rear tyres need to be same as front?

Need to replace rear tyres as they have worn out uneven and i suspect this is casing vibrations.They were only falken tyres on rear anyway.

I got some Kumho ku39s on front which i think are good mid range tyre,would it be ideal to put same on rear?

For the best performance it's best to have all four tyres the same, but if that isn't possible then it must be the same per axle (one set front and another set back).

Personally I'd replace all four, as the Kumho aren't exactly what you'd want on a performance vehicle either.

Personally I'd prefer the same on all four corners but you don't have to do that. It bugs me right now having different brands on the rear axle! Haha!

I dont think i've ever owned a car that hasn't got the same tyres on the front as the back! Would never have Different tyres on the same axle though

tbh I'm not convinced it's a necessity. However, same on both sides of the same axle is. I've seen some absolute horrors with different tyres on each corner :eek:

tbh I'm not convinced it's a necessity. However, same on both sides of the same axle is. I've seen some absolute horrors with different tyres on each corner :eek:
It depends on what you're doing with the car. I think for spirited or track driving you'd want the same on all four corners so the behaviour is consistant.

It depends on what you're doing with the car. I think for spirited or track driving you'd want the same on all four corners so the behaviour is consistant.

Perhaps, but both front and rear axle play significantly different roles.

I think behaviour should be predictable/consistent/reliable, but that doesn't mean that having the same tyres front and rear will give you that, unless I'm missing something important here? On something like the EP3 you have a forward weight bias, power through the front wheels and varied angle between the two front tyres when turning. None of this is true for the rear.

Surely though if you're on a track with semi slick tyres at the front and a budget road tyre at the rear you'd be prone to oversteer because there is less grip at the back? I understand what you're saying that the front does more work but it would still make a difference if the rear tyres weren't as good for example.

Surely though if you're on a track with semi slick tyres at the front and a budget road tyre at the rear you'd be prone to oversteer because there is less grip at the back? I understand what you're saying that the front does more work but it would still make a difference if the rear tyres weren't as good for example.

I think we're in agreement, kinda :)

I'm not saying the rears aren't important, I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily matter if they're a different tread-pattern/manufacturer than the front. Left/right being the same for the same axle is important, front/rear I'm not as committed to.

Both being good/predictable is a requirement though, definitely.

Anyway, kinda kidnapping someone's thread here, sorry.

In short, no. Same on each axle, yes. This applies both road and track.
It's not unusual to run a different tyre or compound on each axle. On the EP3 and majority of FWD vehicles, you may want a softer compound tyre on the rear as it's more difficult to get rear tyre temp and grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we're in agreement, kinda :)

I'm not saying the rears aren't important, I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily matter if they're a different tread-pattern/manufacturer than the front. Left/right being the same for the same axle is important, front/rear I'm not as committed to.

Both being good/predictable is a requirement though, definitely.

Anyway, kinda kidnapping someone's thread here, sorry.

It's been good to discuss it like adults haha!

Definitely agree that across the axle they should match.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have ordered the same Kumho ku39 for rear I know not the top performance tyres but a lot worse tyre out there.

Back