• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

dodgy starter motor?

over the past week of so the civic has been getting slightly worse at starting in the morning.

initial thought was the battery, but i don't think it is - the green indicator is still showing on it and when putting a multi meter on it, it still pulls what it should be.

the car does start first time every time, but it can take a few seconds before it kicks into life, and sometimes it makes the sound of a dead battery, just as you think it is going to die completely the car starts. once it starts it drives fine. after a bit of a run i can turn it off and start it again fine, no hesitation etc, but if left for any amount of time (especially over night) it can become trickier to start.

does this sound like a knackered starter motor? if so, how tricky are they to replace?
i think my battery still have a few months warranty of on it, so i could go swap it first and see if that helps at all, but i don't think it will.

Is this on an EP3?

My FN2 did this, replaced the battery and the problem went away. My old battery tested fine too but hey ho. It clicked when you'd press the button, but the starter didn't fire. It didn't do it every time either, just if it had been stood for a few hours.

Some people are of the opinion that there is an issue with the FN2 flywheel and how it engages with the starter, but I don't buy into that as mine is an aftermarket flywheel and it did it, and the issue only started when it got colder which led me the think it was the battery in the first place.

I'd think the EP3 would suffer similar issues if the battery was on its way out.

yes it is an 05 ep3.

might take the battery back then and ask them if i can swap it for a new one and give that a go. have been told the starter motor is a bit of a bugger to get to, so hope i don't need a new one etc

Mine started doing this when the cold weather started so changed the battery and its been fine since its an ep3.

Back