• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Does my clutch need changing?

I believe there are a few threads already on here about clutches so sorry if this has been covered already, i couldn't quite find the answer.

So i'm wondering whether i'm due a clutch change or if something else is at fault or thirdly if this is just how the clutches are in EP3's (as i'm very new to ownership).

My clutch is very heavy and the bite point is basically at the floor, i only need to raise my foot about an inch from the floor before the clutch bites... my general understanding of a worn clutch is that the bite point gets higher as the clutch wears out, am i wrong?

The clutch doesn't seem to disengage until about half way down the travel as well, meaning i really need to make sure my foot is planted on the clutch before i change gears.

Also, the clutch is not slipping at all (i have done a couple of tests to make sure of this).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry again if this has been covered elsewhere. :D

Yes it needs changing. Pedal should be fairly light with the biting point around 1/3 to 1/2 point of the pedal travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it needs changing. Pedal should be fairly light with the biting point around 1/3 to 1/2 point of the pedal travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I'll look at getting it changed asap then. I don't have any reciepts for it being changed and the car is on 80k miles so I would say it's definitely due one just based on that. :p

I don't seem to have any problems changing gear that why I was wondering... could be on its way out still though

What happens is the pressure plate fails causing the pedal to feel heavy and the low bite point.

Changing the clutch will also give you a new pressure plate.

Plus clutch-drag (if the bite point is low enough) will further wear the plate and possibly damage the synchros.

When i changed my clutch there was a little bit of meat left on the friction plates but the pressure plate was causing pedal stiffness like you experience. You will find vtec gearchanges start to get difficult if you go beyond this phase.

Regards slipping i just think on these cars the pressure plate gives up / frustration creeps in way before this stage starts, hence why nobody experiences slipping.

This could actually be a blessing because from what i understand, a slipping clutch will create a lot of heat and potentially a warped flywheel :eek:

Could a knackered pressure plate be causing the heatshield type rattle sound I'm getting?

What happens is the pressure plate fails causing the pedal to feel heavy and the low bite point.

Changing the clutch will also give you a new pressure plate.

Thanks for the info, i've purchased a new clutch and will have it fitted soon

Plus clutch-drag (if the bite point is low enough) will further wear the plate and possibly damage the synchros.

it is beggining to get to the point where its hard to push my foot down enough to even change gears, so this is of course an issue.
i definitely want to avoid any damage to the synchros so sooner rather than later for me i think, Thanks :)

When i changed my clutch there was a little bit of meat left on the friction plates but the pressure plate was causing pedal stiffness like you experience. You will find vtec gearchanges start to get difficult if you go beyond this phase.

Regards slipping i just think on these cars the pressure plate gives up / frustration creeps in way before this stage starts, hence why nobody experiences slipping.

This could actually be a blessing because from what i understand, a slipping clutch will create a lot of heat and potentially a warped flywheel :eek:

I have a strong feeling my clutch will be in the same kind of condition. Really is noticeably heavy so i'll be looking forward to a lighter clutch.

The heavy clutch and low bite point is like a warning to change your clutch before slipping starts it seems, definitely a blessing :p

Could a knackered pressure plate be causing the heatshield type rattle sound I'm getting?

I have a rattle, but thats coming from my Tegiwa intake (very common for those to rattle). Do you have an intake like that one that could be causing the noise?
The rattle could actually be coming from your heatshield, another common one on the EP3's.
If none of the above then i'm unsure, i can't say i've heard of a rattling noise come from a worn clutch

I have a rattle, but thats coming from my Tegiwa intake (very common for those to rattle). Do you have an intake like that one that could be causing the noise?

No he sold his Tegiwa intake to me, he has an ITG now so probably not that.

Maybe a heatshield somewhere though.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Itg is solid :) My cat heatshield has two jubilee clips on it, my driveshaft heatshield feels solid, the exhaust manifold heatshield seems OK. Don't know where else to look :/

Mystery rattle, only clutch/gearbox related noises you'd get would be release bearing which goes when you press the clutch pedal and input shaft bearing when coasting in gear.

Itg is solid :) My cat heatshield has two jubilee clips on it, my driveshaft heatshield feels solid, the exhaust manifold heatshield seems OK. Don't know where else to look :/

One of the most common causes of rattling is the exhaust heat shield on the bulkhead . It comes into contact with the steering mechanism. Had this on mine .

Bitten the bullet and ordered the oem clutch kit. £159 delivered.
Mtf3 from Cox £23.91.
Should get all done for £480.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back