• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Does the metalwork behind EP3 rear bumper support it?

In answer to your question; No. The bumper is supported by the plastic clips in the engine bay and behind the splitter, as well as two bolts in the wheel arches. It does not touch the crash bar, though I'm wondering why you would want to remove it.

Edit: Sorry, just reread this, I was talking about the front bumper. I can't imagine the rear bumper is much different though.

Why would you want to remove crash support? Especially at the rear where cars have very little crash impact as it is.

Why would you want to remove crash support? Especially at the rear where cars have very little crash impact as it is.

To save weight. At a glance it seems quite substantial.

It's not a safety issue for me to be honest.

On a race car maybe, but on a road car its pretty pointless. The difference will be negligable and I doubt you will notice it. Its also too easy to remove weight from the rear of the car, I would imagine that if you are prepared to take the crash zones off your car you have also removed the interior and rear seats? Thats a lot of weight taken from the rear of the car with almost none, if any, weight taken from the front of it. Im thinking rear seats, spare wheel and that crash zone. I hope that you have a set of coilovers and plan on getting the car corner weighted to set it up properly or you are going to have a very loose rear end as the car when standard is designed to drive with the standard weight distribution.

It's a track car and yes I've already taken a lot more extreme weight saving than this.

I've had the suspension geometry changed to compensate the lighter rear end (more toe-in) and it works very well, the handling is almost exactly how I want it.

Ok great, but suspension geometry is not the same as corner weighting. I would suggest having it corner weighted as that will also make a huge difference in how the car behaves. Corner weighting will basically set up each corner of the car with different spring rates (and dampers if you can adjust) in order to give it a better weight distribution, 50/50 being optimal. What will happen when you remove weight from the rear is the rear springs will become too stiff for the car and create an imbalance between front and rear, putting more of the weight onto the front of the car. They need to be softened up to bring some of the weight back to the rear of the car and spread the weight more evenly. That will give you a much more stable car and a faster lap time too.

Ok great, but suspension geometry is not the same as corner weighting. I would suggest having it corner weighted as that will also make a huge difference in how the car behaves. Corner weighting will basically set up each corner of the car with different spring rates (and dampers if you can adjust) in order to give it a better weight distribution, 50/50 being optimal. What will happen when you remove weight from the rear is the rear springs will become too stiff for the car and create an imbalance between front and rear, putting more of the weight onto the front of the car. They need to be softened up to bring some of the weight back to the rear of the car and spread the weight more evenly. That will give you a much more stable car and a faster lap time too.

Thanks I fully understand what corner weighting is, but I'd sooner focus on weight reduction as that has gains in many areas whereas corner weighting doesn't.

It's not something that I'm able to do without coilovers anyway.

Back