• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Double din surround

Has anyone got andvice on the best way to fit a surround / best surround to fit, when installing a double din jag unit?

I have fitted a pioneer app-radio, securing it using the Honda radio mount brackets behind the dashboard (I.e. had to remove the centre console) however the surround that came with the radio, a skinny black one, nore the civic specific surround fit, leaving a gap all the way around the stereo.

I was considering taking out to a custom interior place to get the whole thing filled in properly, so there are no joints or noticeable surrounds. But wouldn't know of anywhere in the northwest?

Some photos of my head unit at the moment....

anada2y2.jpg

qanany3e.jpg

jyte7ude.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396554628126.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396554628126.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 26
The word you are looking for is 'fascia'.

You can get double din stereo fascias on ebay for around £27. I've bought and fitted quite a few ebay stereo fascias, mostly they need some trimming and sanding to fit perfectly, but will do the job well if you put a bit of effort into fitting it properly.

Cheers. I'll have a look at trimming & sanding the one I've got. I am thinking of also filling the joint between the fascia and dash, then getting the whole thing resprayed so it gives a nice clean finish.

That looks pretty good. I have bolted my head unit in as apposed to using the cage, I think I may need to change which bolt holes I use to get it flush.
I think I'll see about getting one of those nexxia ones as a cheaper starting point

Yea that's ideally how I'd like it. But when I tried fitting the facia I had which filled the whole odd shaped gap it just didn't fit. I'll probably just have to try another one until I get one that fits

That looks pretty good. I have bolted my head unit in as apposed to using the cage, I think I may need to change which bolt holes I use to get it flush.
I think I'll see about getting one of those nexxia ones as a cheaper starting point

Thanks Mate!:)

For my car that trim is the only solution..there´s no fascia for civic with manual clima!:( I´ve search and search to find this trim..
In your car the fascia give a clean look for sure..but is more expensive..
The trim in your car will look like this ones that user Dalco Type R use to sell.
https://www.facebook.com/3723153826...753.372315382621/420295142621/?type=3&theater

;)

Wait, now I'm really confused....

I've fitted a lot of these, it's kind of my thing. The fascia fits the trapezoidal recess in the centre console, then the stereo surround fills the rectangular gap between the stereo and the fascia.

In this pic the green arrow is pointing to the surround, the red arrow is pointing to the fascia.

Assuming that the stereo is standard double din size, you will need a fascia (like the ebay link I posted) and a surround (which I believe you already have). All aftermarket fascias that I have fitted have required trimming and sanding to fit perfectly, mainly because they are inaccurately designed and built. If you fit both the fascia and surround to a standard stereo it will look like the picture I posted.

What EXACTLY is the problem? I can help, but only if you explain it to me more clearly.

Ok, si I have bolted the head unit into the dash board using the OEM metal brackets behind the dash board. So I haven't use this:
myvyhase.jpg

I have the pioneer surround which came with the head unit:
3a9epa9u.jpg

And I have an aftermarket facia:
a7y5uheh.jpg

When the head unit is installed there is a gap all the way around:
ytazu4ep.jpg

Which you can see through to behind the head unit.

The pioneer surround does not fit as the gap at the top is too small:
uturyvez.jpg

Same goes for the facia:
2emevepu.jpg

Not to mention its an entirely different colour to my dashboard!

I could not fit the cage as there were no protruding edge in the dash board along to top for which the cage could butt up against, meaning it could be pushed through the gap and become awkward and shoddy looking!!

Ah right, thanks for the pics and explanation!

It looks like the surround is all kinds of wrong, in fact I think that it is a fascia for a different car and not a surround at all. Did you buy the stereo new or second hand? I personally would be sending that fifth picture to the seller, complaining that the 'surround' is either the incorrect part or has been modified to the point of uselessness (it does look as if it has been cut with a craft knife).

Bottom line - you need a new surround, the one you have is clearly wrong. Contact the stereo manufacturer/distributer if you need clarification, they will undoubtedly produce this part.

Hmm I'll get in touch with pioneer to see if they will send me a new surround.

When you have fitted them did you use the cage or not?

Lol, did you steal that from my build tread?

I have always used the cage, otherwise removing the stereo again will be a console-out job. Yeah, ask pioneer what part you need, it will almost certainly be a universal part that should have come with the stereo when new.

Ah right, thanks for the pics and explanation!

It looks like the surround is all kinds of wrong, in fact I think that it is a fascia for a different car and not a surround at all. Did you buy the stereo new or second hand? I personally would be sending that fifth picture to the seller, complaining that the 'surround' is either the incorrect part or has been modified to the point of uselessness (it does look as if it has been cut with a craft knife).

Bottom line - you need a new surround, the one you have is clearly wrong. Contact the stereo manufacturer/distributer if you need clarification, they will undoubtedly produce this part.

Mate, even a new pioneer surround don´t fit the civic gap! the measures in the standart kenwood, alpine, pioneer don´t fit the civic gap!
Before i bought the kenwood I had a pioneer app radio and had the same problem..at the time just removed the radio and sold it..

Then I find a trim at nexxia with the measures tha fit the ep3 gap, and buy a new kenwood!

Sorry my English..Hope I have explained myself!:D

Back