• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Double DINs.... talk to me

Hazz

B16
Morning kids,

My garmin died. So, I'm looking for a double DIN with sat nav and an Ipod input. I don't want to pay the earth.

I've not done much research yet, electrical wizardry confuses me.

I've read some threads on here re: double DINs, including the one about jailbroken iphone sat nav input, but I don't want to jailbreak. So it needs to be built in sat nav.

Talk to me :)

Cheers,
H

How much are you looking to spend? i managed to get an older kenwood double din built in satnav and ipod wire out the back etc £350 it cost but i had to buy the sd card for the maps its 50 on amazon.

Sadly you pay big money for the Sat-Nav ready units :rolleyes:

Its not overly complicated to Jail break an iphone plus free Apps like the Tomtom one are handy :cool:

Cheers chaps, CBA with jailbroken phone. At all.

I suppose £300-350 is my budget, I've never been a stereo person really so don't want to spend too much.

I guess what I really want to know is... are there any manufacturers I should avoid, do any of them have particularly annoying or convoluted menus?

There are some ebay specials by unknown (at least to me anyway) manufacturers for under the £200 mark, suopposedly with the features I'm after.... any thoughts on these?

Cheers chaps, CBA with jailbroken phone. At all.

I suppose £300-350 is my budget, I've never been a stereo person really so don't want to spend too much.

I guess what I really want to know is... are there any manufacturers I should avoid, do any of them have particularly annoying or convoluted menus?

There are some ebay specials by unknown (at least to me anyway) manufacturers for under the £200 mark, suopposedly with the features I'm after.... any thoughts on these?

Buy cheap.... buy twice...

I've never had any issue's with pioneers stuff over the years and is fairly user friendly

Jamesstone im looking to buy a pioneer double din:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-avh-4400bt_p-27441.htm

I
have the tomtom app on my iphone aswell, will the app display on this head unit?

On the old Iso4/5 It can't without being jail broken as you need the screen out which basically mirror's your iphone to the head unit, not sure if Iso6 now offers it as I dare up-grade my iphone 4 as people are experiencing bluetooth audio streaming glitches currently

Thinking of a double din for the FD2.

Sat nav isn't important as I've got my TomTom but bluetooth/parrot, usb stick with mp3 compatibility and reversing camera input is.

What would people in the know recommend? I've not looked at head units in over 10 years so haven't got much of a clue.

Budget isn't huge TBH. Cheapish and cheerful.

Halfords jobbie might do the trick John. Should be able to get something decent for around £200-£300. I've been quoted £280 at a local place to fit a Bluetooth/iPod double DIN so can't see you paying more than that. I suspect the problem will be the reversing camera. I went full retard and bought a unit from Car Audio Security and used their interest free finance (needed to boost my credit score too :) ).

JVC made decent units mate, sister company to Kenwood IIRC.

I would see if you can get a demo of the unit, some of the newer ones with loads of features can take a hit on the UI speed. My unit takes about a minute to fully warm up. :lol:

Have my one for sale Loxy, comes with bluetooth & music streaming, have a brand new reversing camera that I never fitted to go with it too! Also includes the surround! Drop me a pm if your interested

You'll need the ISO adaptor too.

It does already have a frame to bolt a cage to if your headunit comes with one and some people have found if their headunit sits a bit proud of the fascia that the surround you've linked is needed.

Back