• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Drive-by-wire

Hi,

I have searched the FAQ but no luck. I read that all Civics (maybe even Hondas) have drive-by-wire throttle since 2006, instead of cable throttle. Obviously a cable throttle gives more feel/feedback/response, etc. Does anyone know if this applies to the EP3 also? I have seen a nice 2006 Cosmic Grey for sale, but would happily go for an '05 model if it has a cable throttle.

Thanks

I have searched the FAQ but no luck. I read that all Civics (maybe even Hondas) have drive-by-wire throttle since 2006, instead of cable throttle. Obviously a cable throttle gives more feel/feedback/response, etc. Does anyone know if this applies to the EP3 also? I have seen a nice 2006 Cosmic Grey for sale, but would happily go for an '05 model if it has a cable throttle.

EP3 is cable-operated, doesn't matter which year.

As above, EP3 is cable. FN2 was the first 'R' with DBW, the FD2 is as well.

Also, for what it's worth, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference in my experience. My DC5 feels no different on a cable compared to my old S2000 that was DBW.

Also, for what it's worth, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference in my experience. My DC5 feels no different on a cable compared to my old S2000 that was DBW.

Thanks, it seems to vary manufacturer to manufacturer. i.e. I was interested in a BMW E46 330CI (very different car I know), read that it had crap throttle response due to BMWs early DBW system. So it is something I thought I'd check on the EP3s. The only thing now I hear is the EP3s lack of steering feel, but I'll judge that myself in a test drive (don't want to go off topic).

The only thing now I hear is the EP3s lack of steering feel, but I'll judge that myself in a test drive (don't want to go off topic).

There's a difference between pre and post facelift on the EP3, both are electric power steering. They adjusted it for the facelift after people complained. It's never bothered me, but maybe I'm just an oaf.

People are now starting add DBW to the ep3 to open up mapping options

Interesting, why is that? More control over the throttle?

There's a difference between pre and post facelift on the EP3, both are electric power steering. They adjusted it for the facelift after people complained. It's never bothered me, but maybe I'm just an oaf.

Yeah, I heard that they made it feel a bit heavier at times on the facelift? It probably won't bother me either, will be better than my MKIV Fiesta anyhow :D

I do like the throttle cable set up on my EP3 as it is responsive but electronic throttle isn't to be sniffed at. My Astra is electronic throttle which can be dull but it allows a lot of modification through mapping and sports button etc. 70% throttle day to day and 100% on the sports button with the map don't notice a blind bit of difference between cable and by wire then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back