• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Drivers door wont unlock in arctic weather

During these colder days i am having difficulty unlocking the drivers do with the key fob, the pin wont come up meaning i have to climb through the passenger door to gain entry. Now this looks extremely stupid and quite embarrasing.

Does anyone have a remedy for this or is it new lock time?

During these colder days i am having difficulty unlocking the drivers do with the key fob, the pin wont come up meaning i have to climb through the passenger door to gain entry. Now this looks extremely stupid and quite embarrasing.

I have had this happen a couple of times on the DC5. Fob won't work, so you have to do it the old fashioned way. Not too bad with the Teg as it's got a key hole on the drivers side.

I'm guessing if you buy new locks you'll have the same problem again as it's ice around the pin that's stopping them from lifting and buying new locks won't solve that.

Never had that problem myself, I've only had the drivers door frozen shut meaning I had to climb into my DC5 through the boot... that was dignified.

You need to use silicone grease over your rubber door seals and WD40 in the locks, this will prevent water getting into contact and freezing.

This has always worked a treat with me.

excellent, thanks for the comments guys will try those few tips.

at first i thought the door was frozen shut but worked out that the pin wasnt operating, but the passenger door works fine so my only thinking was that the drivers lock mechanism wasnt working properly

Had the same with a passenger door, it only happens with the weather being like it is, not worth changing any locks over etc.

I get it with my driver door. The first time it happened i was trying to ram my door open on the inside until the penny dropped :lol:

My EVO's done this a couple of times in the past week. Only late at night when it's proper cold.

Back