• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Drivers Side Rear Brake Caliper 2003 (53) Pre facelift Type R

AKH

Honda Civic Type R (2003 (53)) 49,000 miles.

Hi Guys,

Returning home last night and noticed a strong burning smell. At traffic lights also could notice as soon as i proceeded to move would hear a noise similar to when the handbrake is left on from the rear drivers side wheel. I took the car on a slight hill and noticed it would not roll back freely. A suspect sticking caliper or slider pins?

I got out and noticed the rear drivers side wheel to be letting of quiet a bit of heat and the car was only driver 3-4 gentle miles that particular journey from a cold start.

Any advice on Calipers as Honda have quoted £300 odd including VAT for a caliper which also comes with a carrier; expensive?! Any experiences or DIY guides or any suppliers most welcome.

Regards,

Imran

Do a search mate there's loads of advice. Recently rebuilt mine and put a thread up 'brakes hints tips and tricks' I picked up along the way. Should be all you need to fix them

Even went and got the link for you
http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=96256

Thanks for the reply! I came accross your thread beforehand but wanted opinions on whether it is better to get a refurbished unit and replace or rebuild existing one as want it to last for a good few years. Seen some kits on eBay by seller 'Brakesint'

Also with the caliper off how did you pinch the brake line without causing any damage or did you use a rubber bung to block of the metal end of the brake line where the bolt goes?

Thanks again!

If you want to spend £300 on a caliper you can pretty much guarantee it'll be perfect for about 5 years. If you buy a second hand one off eBay there's no guarantee it's in any better condition than what you already have.
If your not confident doing this then send it off to a company to be refurbed or buy a already refurbished one (£100 a corner) Last thing you want is your brakes failing!!!

Jamieboy told me a good trick, disconnect the brake light sensor underneath the brake pedal (so to not kill your battery), depress the brake pedal and wedge a stick against it to hold it down, this will stop all your fluid leaking everywhere. DO NOT pump all your fluid out to save your driveway like I did!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to spend £300 on a caliper you can pretty much guarantee it'll be perfect for about 5 years. If you buy a second hand one off eBay there's no guarantee it's in any better condition than what you already have.
If your not confident doing this then send it off to a company to be refurbed or buy a already refurbished one (£100 a corner) Last thing you want is your brakes failing!!!

I just replaced mine with one from Tegiwa for £200 if that helps?

Thanks for the replies! Sent off the Caliper to Bigg Red as been caught up with work so fingers crossed! Also with the slider pins on the carrier; what is the best way to remove them without damaging the rubber boots? They move back and forward fine was wondering if its worth removing and regreasing them with silicone grease whilst everything is off?

Back