• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

S2000 & NSX Driving S2000 without airbox....

Was at the WhatCar magazine Civic Type-R readers review on Friday at Goodwood and Jenson Button mentioned that sometimes he "unclips the airbox" on his S2000 to get a better sound.

Just wondered if anyone else has done this?

I have often heard it mentioned "around the forums" that taking the lid off the S2K airbox is a common thing. 8)

The engine will be able to breathe better too, then again take the air filter off just dont be upset when the engine takes a lungful of crap in and goes bang :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What kind of twat suggested taking the airbox off?

It's there for a reason - to filter the air. If you take it off, the engine will suck in dirt, dust, even leaves. :|

Rcb said:
What kind of twit suggested taking the airbox off?

It's there for a reason - to filter the air. If you take it off, the engine will suck in dirt, dust, even leaves. :|

Just the top cover, not the whole airbox - the filtration is still all good. 8)

Scousefella said:
thejudderman said:
Why wouldn't you just buy a proper kit? :?

£1,300 notes for a GruppeM!!! :lol:

Fakinellfire!!! :shock: Good point.... :lol:

Just had a hunt....AEM CAI £200

Although if we're still talking about Jensen, I'm sure he could stretch to a GruppeM, he might have to save up for a few months first though! :)

I used to have the GruppeM, awesome bit of kit.

I have never tried driving with the airbox lid off, however am currently driving around with the airbox and filter removed.

No different to when I used to drive the Teg with open ITB's on it.

Some of the peeps on S2Ki forum do this. The upside is a better sound but the downside is a slight loss in performance. I haven't tried it yet myself.

Geoff.

My airbox lid has been off for ages.

As has been mentioned even with the lid off there is still a cone filter in place - the airbox is purely there in an attempt to feed cooler air into the intake.

The difference in performance isn't noticeable on the public road. The difference in noise is superb.

Having said that, I can't hear mine over the exhaust these days.

When i first got my car i tried it. On a hot day it makes the notorious Kangarooing a lot worse. Heat soak was very apparent.

i'vs been told if you remove the filter element on a EP3 (maybe same with AP1) it loses power.

as the puse of the airflow is not matched to the exhaust flow, but will gain power with remap.

I have removed the lid from the airbox for short bursts, it sounds nice but isn't something I could live with on a daily basis. I did a RR comparison with the lid on and off as it feels a lot less responsive with the lid off. It was around 4-5lbft down over the entire rev range and 2-3bhp in places, (back to back runs), it didn't show as much difference as I expected ;)

As for Simon removing the filter and running without filtration:eek: I hope you're joking? :( It may be the same as running an ITR with unfiltered ITB's...... But have you even seen how much sandy rubbish ends up in the airbox, good for engine wear, bad for performance in more ways than one - A high price to pay for a nice sound IMO!

It has been removed for a short period whilst we were getting an intake tube made up to mate to the Vortech airbox prior to full S/C conversion.
The car's not even used at the moment.

As for Simon removing the filter and running without filtration:eek: I hope you're joking? :( It may be the same as running an ITR with unfiltered ITB's...... But have you even seen how much sandy rubbish ends up in the airbox, good for engine wear, bad for performance in more ways than one - A high price to pay for a nice sound IMO!

I used to have the GruppeM, awesome bit of kit.

I have never tried driving with the airbox lid off, however am currently driving around with the airbox and filter removed.

No different to when I used to drive the Teg with open ITB's on it.

You must have a massive garage - My garage is big but it's not big enough to drive around in :p

Joking apart - I live only a couple of miles from markieb who recently had his SC S2k tuned by Mase, are you going down the same route? I remember you have the ECU already :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be tuned by Mase at some stage, not sure if this time though or not.
He tuned the AEM last time stock.

Back