• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Dropping weight

Im considering doing some rounds of time attack next year and im wondering whether I can get the weight of my ep3 down to around 1000kg or whether I should consider a different chassis for my k20.

What sort of weight us realistic ? This will be track only so no need for all the creature comforts

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'd really struggle to get down to 1000kg. A standard Ep3 will weigh roughly 1250kg, ready to drive. 250kg is a lot of weight, roughly equivalent to 3.5 average men.

I just stripped the rear interior out of mine; everything behind the front seats, not including head lining. All of that comes to 38kg.

Other things to lighten (very rough estimates):

Wheels - 15kg
Windows - 10kg
Bonnet - 6kg
Seats - 40kg
Dash - 20kg
Stereo system - 3kg
A/C - 6kg
Headlining and carpets - 3kg
Door cards - 3kg
Heat shields - 2kg

Total - 108kg

After that you are getting hardcore:

Door inners cut out - 2kg
Random holes drilled - 1kg
Rear splitter - 2kg
Arch liners - 2kg
Airbags - 8kg
Lightweight battery - 3kg
Fluids - 1kg

Total - 19kg

Grand total - 165kg

That's about all I can think of. I'm sure there's more if you want to go crazy. I'm sure a lot of my guesses are rubbish too.

There's also swapping glass for poly carbonate

I guessed 10kg saving for polycarbonate windows.

So maybe 1100 is more realistic ?

Yeah, I'd say that's reasonable. Some of that will still be difficult. There's quite a bit of weight behind the dash, it's a bugger to get to though. If you're adding any safety features (extinguisher, cage etc) you should still be able to save around 100-150kg depending on how far you go.

I don't know what bracing the type R EP3 has, but once you've got a roll cage installed you wont need any body bracing.

Also, is the EP3 A/C system only 6kg!? Surely it's more than that..

You could also get a lighter alternator and pulleys. Remove power steering and you free up rotational mass on the engine and weight from the pump.

Depending on how efficient the fancy alternator is you could also install an electric water pump, although not strictly weight saving, it will free up engine torque. There's a lot of chitter chatter about whether it makes any difference at all with the extra load being put on the alternator, but if you're going to a more efficient alternator it's definitely worth looking into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back