• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 earthing kit?

A lot of the threads you start have been covered a thousand times before, Use the search button!

sorry mate:mad:

No need to apologise, Stu.

Just have a look through the various sections on here and I am sure you will find out the info you need. :D

Click here

A car uses 12v DC (12vdc) Conventional current flows from +ve to the -ve terminal. But on cars the -ve of an instument/electrical load is often just stabbed to ground to the nearest point. BUT, if that point has not got a low resistance path back the the -ve terminal of the battery you will have volt drop.

All the grounding kits do is to bond together pars of the car which do not have a 'great' path back the the -ve terminal of the battery as standard.

LeeH said:
Archie said:
Hi

What is the benifit from fitting one of these kits ????

:?

OK, basic theory.......

:arrow: Cars are 12vdc with a +ve and a -ve. Basically a common battery as we all no them. Current flows ( for this explanation!!) from +ve to -ve.

:arrow: Electrical components in cars are supplied with a +ve feed to make them work then the -ve side is usually stabbed down to the nearest part of the chassis or metal component. The current then flows through whatever it has to to get back to the -ve terminal of the battery.

:arrow: So, if at any time the path has a resistance you get a drop in voltage (ohms law). A low voltage causes electrical components to run slow, weak or malfunction.

:arrow: Earth kits bond together the components which have a resistance greater the 0(or very near) ohms so current flowing through them to return to the battery do not meet any resistance.

How's that??

The theory is sound and they do work......System R has recommended Earthing so that must count for something????

BUT, 70% of the kit is for Bling so please if you don't see a 30BHP gain don't start shouting at me :lol:

Lee

You need to accept that the existing earth connections are rubbish for there to be any benefit. I do not. Since most components work within a voltage range and current flow is unlikely to reach levels where serious volts drop occurs with the stock bonding and earthing, I see little value beyond looking nice. Additionally, unless you increase the CSA of the positive feeds, you really are tinkering with only one half of the overall cct.

Sorry, but I think they're a con and totally uneccesary if your existing wiring is in good order.

IMO Earthing kits are hit and miss, the performance of an earthing kit is all down to the integrity of your current earths. However, that being said, i do feel that the right color and routing of the kit can set your engine bay off nicely. I have often seen people use earthing kits to draw attention to the more "fancy pantsy" areas of their engine bay. One word of advice is that, if you decide to go ahead and fit an earthing kit to your car, ensure you use some earthing compound and if possible, you would also like to use some sacrificial plates inbetween the component and the connection (especially if the component is a different material to the crimp) This plate will degrade rather than the crimp or the component prolonging the life of your earths. And as always, put a little layer of grease over the top of all your earths.

Cheers, James:)

Back