• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CH1 EGR Plate, What does it do?

I have cleaned my EGR plate today. The channels were really sooted up, nearly blocked in some places. Now that I have put it back on the engine feels instantly different. It noticably pulls harder through VTEC and is just altogether smoother.

I have 2 questions. How does blockage in such a small part make so much difference what does the plate actually do?

Also, I am told the EGR valve should also be cleaned as this can also get caked with soot. I am gonna have a go at it next weekend but I need to know if the gasket a copper one as with the plate, or should I get a new one and change it?

EGR stands for exhaust gas recirculation. What happens is about 10% of the exhaust gas is recirculated to the EGR valve. That then analyses if it is between the range. If not it will change the fuel/air ratio in order to get the emissions with in the limits. That is why a bad EGR valve increases fuel consumption as it sets the fuel too lean. So by cleaning the EGR valve it improves fuel consumption aswell as throttle response. :smt023

i was just reading this and i havnt long got my atr so id be interested in doing this.
has anyone got the info on cleaning the egr/egr plate and is this a difficult job?
thanks

EGR stands for exhaust gas recirculation. What happens is about 10% of the exhaust gas is recirculated to the EGR valve. That then analyses if it is between the range. If not it will change the fuel/air ratio in order to get the emissions with in the limits. That is why a bad EGR valve increases fuel consumption as it sets the fuel too lean. So by cleaning the EGR valve it improves fuel consumption aswell as throttle response. :smt023

to add to that the EGR is only open at 'mid' cruising throttle, its closed at idle and WOT

Back