• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EK9 gone, Milano Red EP3 in.. few questions on paintwork...

Right people i've just sold my EK9 and after a few weeks of deciding i went out and brought a Milano Red EP3.. spec - Buddyclub Spec III, and AEM intake, now what my question is, is that i noticed the paintwork did have that dredded Pinky Milano look, but it didn't look too bad, as i am a bit of a detailer myself, i had a look and i thought to myself arrr it's not massively bad, i'll be able too restore that... i gave it a clean, clay bared, AutoGlym Paint renovator, T-CUT, Dodo Juice Lime prime, with mild abbrasives... and last i tried the new colour restorer G 3. But the metal parts of the car are still ''Milano Pinky'' ... is my only option to get the machine polisher on it, to retsore the colour properly? Cheers.. Josh

i believe if its under the lacquer then there is nothing you can do..... i think. theres a few posts on this.

Insufficient wax/ sealant - particularly not offering enough UV stability.
If its under the clearcoat it will need a respray to bring back the red.

Is it an early pre-facelift EP3, some of those had single stage paint, i.e no clearcoat on top of the colour, hence you will be able to machine polish the oxidised paint off, then re-wax/seal.

Did any colour come off on to your cloth when you were polishing? If so its single stage and your luck would be in.
If not, its got a clearcoat.

Sorry if you know this already.

Hi mate, cheers for your reply... Errrm to be honest not really, so I guess this means it has a clear coat on top?! Its a 54 plate mate.. Not even a good machine polish will bring it up?

Hi mate, cheers for your reply... Errrm to be honest not really, so I guess this means it has a clear coat on top?! Its a 54 plate mate.. Not even a good machine polish will bring it up?

You may have a little oxidation/ hazing/ swirling on the clear that may machine polish up to make it look a bit redder.
If the colours gone under the clearcoat though, there's nothing you can do to make it better other than strip + repaint.

I've got the same mate. It's got heavy layer of clear coat on top, with crap UV protection, so bugger all you can do without a respray. Problem is, you'd need to do the whole car, as blowing over front / rear end, just makes the rest of the car look pinker!

Mines is worse on the roof / bonnet / boot as you'd expect, so I've got plans to wrap them. I've done the bonnet and spoiler already, just need time to do the roof. Works OK if you don't mind wraps, and because the wrap is so dark against the Milano, the rest of the Red looks much, much deeper coloured because of the contrasting black.

I wrap myself, so it's cheap for me, but still much cheaper than full respray if you have to go to a shop to have it done.

Yeah mate, the clear coat obv has crap UV protection, because it's the same for me because the panels, have all faded, but the plastics are all a deep red. my roof/bonnet/wings tailgate and even the side of the car have gone pinky, but looks worse in certain lights. I am getting quoted for the side/wings/bonnet and tailgate to be resprayed, as i love to clean/detail a car and it wires me, and i have always wanted fresh paint aswell! it's annoying as my mate has an 04 and mines a 54 and he has a deep red shine still! :(

I also bought an 04 plate facelift ep3 milano red.

At first it seemed ok but a few weeks after having it i realised that the bumpers were a different colour to the bonnet/wings etc. The red had gone to a horrible pinky colour...

Anyhow when i bought the car i took some insurance thing that the guy told me would cover me for any paintwork that needed doing and restoring etc.

So i took it back into the garage where they told me that i wasn't covered to have it resprayed, and in fact it was just to reserve how the car was already... Obviously i was annoyed by this so got a refund on the package thing for my cars paintwork...

I asked if i could get a machine polish but baiscally they said the paint was too thin now and doing that might jst damage it or make it thinner...

Im not happy but im saving up to get my car wrapped in pearl white...

What can you do ay?:evil:

I too have the dreaded paint fade but it doesn't look too bad. What would be the best products to protect further UV damage? Would a regular polish suffice? I can just about live with it as it is at the minute.

Hi guys, im new to the forum and im busy taking some pictures so i can proper introduce myself, but for now bare with me pls ;).

Since 2 weeks i'm a proud owner of a 2003 Milano Red EP3. But as stated above, i also got the same problems. All plastic parts looks like it should (a nice deep red colour), but the metal bits seems a bit pinky( not that bad, but u will see the difference in colour specialy at night when pumping for gas) It just makes my eyes water. So i hope u guys can give me some advice on wich products to use.
Im thinking about using auto glym super polish resin. But what can i use as sealer and protection?

1392724_10202251188899681_2000468624_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's damage limitation I'm afraid. I have the same problem, my friends even call me lady penelope. It won't t-cut/polish out as the top layer is clearcoated. It's frustrating as it only looks really bad under artifcial light. To minimise it you need to keep it clean and polish it regularly. I use Autoglym body shampoo and AG SRP.

Back