• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ek9 insurance group??

Hi there all,

I'm new! :)

Just to ask a quick question.. what insurance group is the ek9? I'm considering to purchase one in a few months time.

Before any of you guys say it, I don't want to purchase the ep3 ctr for 2 reasons:-

1) it's very common.
2) it's insurance group 17!! (jesus christ, lol)

Does anyone on here know what insurance group the ek9 is?

JDM import, 184bhp? not as safe as the EP3, rarer & thus more expensive parts.....the world of grp 20 awaits I reckon!

Really?
Can someone who knows for sure please tell me.

My heart is with the ep3, but I thought it may make financial logic (as I'm still a student to go for the ek9, but maybe not?? :roll: )

Other people are saying get a dc2 instead, their much better cars, etc etc etc... but again, I dont like those awful round looking lights.

Just to give you some background (for anyone that cares):-
At the moment I have a 1997 Honda Civic 1.4initial, which reaches 60 in about 10 minutes, lol! But i have completely ICED it out with 2 TVs, 3 amps, a vibe sub, infinity speakers throughout, and a reasonably nice kenwood headunit. Oh and recently I managed to put these rather cool blue neon lights in the boot to light up every amp! I'm so proud of myself! 8)

I read another chaps post on here about newera imports. My brother got his supra TT from there a few years back with only 12K on the clock!! :shock: -Newera are great, and professional, however they are quiet pricey for my student loan! :p

What do you guys advise?

Just echoing what Paul says. I've heard group 20 mentioned a few times in respect of the EK9 JDM import Type-R... I'm sure someone else on the forum will be able to give a more concrete answer.

They are Group 20 for sure and probably the most hardcore Type-R made, one for the purist.

This may sound stupid...
Do you think the insurance will be more money then the standard ep3 civic? (considering the lower price of the car)..

saboteur said:
This may sound stupid...
Do you think the insurance will be more money then the standard ep3 civic? (considering the lower price of the car)..

They are a higher group.. It all depends on circumstances - Age, convictions etc.

I would imagine I would possibly pay a little more for an EK9 but not much 8)

saboteur said:
This may sound stupid...

It's not so much about the cost of the car, it's also things such as expense to repair/replace and an EK9 could be alot more costly to repair than a EP3.

Bare in mind you mentioned you're a student and no real previous experience of ownership of a quick ish car then you're going to struggle more on a EK9 than on a EP3.

But if you intend to fill it with ICE then please please don't get a EK9.

Why not?

Do you mean that I may be in danger of ruining the essence of the car? Everything about the ek9 bar minor changes seems the same as the civic I've got already...

saboteur said:
Why not?

Do you mean that I may be in danger of ruining the essence of the car? Everything about the ek9 bar minor changes seems the same as the civic I've got already...

I think the comment about ICE would be that its a raw car and should stay at that state. I agree with Hasnic on this one, engine would be a far better music :twisted:

saboteur said:
Why not?

An EK9 is not a car for filling up with ICE, it's a out and out track special basically, lively chassis, engine that revs and revs and is lightened to make it morem focussed. It has minimal sound proofing and by filling it with ICE you would be going against the whole ethos of the car.

Get an EK4 VTi, 160hp engine and then fill ya boots with ICE as you wouldn't be ruining such a rare machine.

Also just seen you have no ncb, which isn't going to help you much on a UK EP3 let alone a import EK9.

saboteur said:
never heard of ek4?? :S
IS that group 20 too?

An Ek4 is a Civic VTi and looks like:

civic1.jpg

It has a B16A 1.6ltr VTEC engine with 160hp and a normal trim level etc.

The EK9 is same body shape but the Japan only Civic Type-R, 1.6 180+hp, recaro trim, different body kit, lightened etc.. and looks like this

EK9-TYPER.jpg

Don't get an EK4, get an EG6 VTi, they look better and are slightly quicker :p :wink:

They have the same engine (B16A2) but are slightly lighter, and the car isn't so "high and thin" like every other car these days. They're both grp 16 though IIRC.

fb7fb188.jpg

fb831f6f.jpg

If you can't afford the insurance on any hot civics you'll have to get an ESi.

Im getting an EK4 VTi after this Civic I have at the mo 8) same shape so any mods I do to my current car I can just switch them over to the VTi :twisted:

should be next year. :twisted:

hehe and if either of you get any of the VTi's i can sell you mods i bought for one even though i didnt get one in the end :p

mugen valve cover
mugen 4-1 manifold
de-cat
CF spark plug cover by APC

8)

gotta do something with them theyre taking up space at the moment lol

saboteur said:
CJN: how old are you?

I'm not sure if I should mod this civic or wait til I get a faster car...

18 mate..

well its up to you, but I think if i know what my next car is going to be its an easy chioce for me aswel as both cars are very similar so should be a straight swap 8)

Back