• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Electric Shocks :smt026

Lately I've been having electric shocks when getting out of the CTR after a run. It happens as I'm closing the door....you can even hear the zap!
Anyone else get this? Is it something to be concerned about? :smt017

Just static.

Can be very dependent upo what shoes you wear, if they have thick rubber soles then the static can't discharge.
So it discharges through you hand when you touch the metal.

The only thing that can increase it is, is if you have something either rubbing the wheels or the ground when driving.

To prevent it touch the metal part of the door BEFORE your foot touches the ground. Very rarely happens now.

I remember one of my Dads Mazda's had a little pad built into the inside door handle that you touched as you opened the door.

How it worked I have no idea but you never got a shock.

paul.goffin said:

I thought your doing a HNC in Elec Eng mate? :lol:

Basically when, due to electricity being lazy, instead of discharging through the car which is more resistive then the path through your body, it goes through you to ground hence the shock.

Wonder if this still happens with earthing kits :?:

Whats the overall advantage of an earthing kit then?
(I know I should do a search but am feeling lazy, so feel free to tell me where to go if you want, lol.)

MilanoChris said:
paul.goffin said:

I thought your doing a HNC in Elec Eng mate? :lol:

Basically when, due to electricity being lazy, instead of discharging through the car which is more resistive then the path through your body, it goes through you to ground hence the shock.

I know how Static Shocks work :wink:

I'm just unsure how the anti-static shock pads work. They must slowly discharge you without a sudden shock.

I have a tp earthing kit and I do not get shocks but the girlfriend does.

Must be her........

electric personality :lol:

I think the weather has alot to do with it...... static in the atmosphere...

OllieMorr said:
MilanoChris said:
paul.goffin said:

Thats what I was thinking as well.

It might if it was an earthing kit. But really it is an electrical bonding kit, holding the various electrical masses at the same potential and increasing the conductivity back to the negative pole of the battery. It cannot discharge static to ground because there is no electrical connection to ground except by the very resistive path of the wheels and that lovely rubber.

So......when you come along with your hand the static (which can be a massive amount of volts) jumps to you for a return path, the crack is the arc jumping to your hand before discharging through you to earth.

The only way is to get hold of the metalwork then put your foot on the ground, it will then discharge harmlessly through your shoes with no opportunity to arc.

Back