• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Electronic Load Detector Circuit High Input.

My ep3 has been in for an oil service today and to get the wheel barings checked as I 'm getting a constant rumble from the offside front. Turns out this will need replacing in the near future.

Anyway because I've not been driving it much over the last week until I could get it checked out, the engine was doing a bit of rev hunting when idle. Naturally I assumed the ICV needed a clean out, so gave it a decent run out on the motorway.

Whilst it was in for service it was noticed that the revs drop away quickly to almost 200rpm and then upto 800-1000 rpm. As a precaution they checked for any fault codes and it threw out P1298 Electronic Load Detector High Input.

I believe this is a Honda specific fault code. So what are the things to check? Condition of battery (Voltage etc.), earthing points and alternator. That's what quick google yielded. I would add the ecu was reset but the fault code came back.

Could this even relate to the idle issue or is it a separate problem? Anyone had this fault code before?

Any advice welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, sorted this issue today. :)

This really is easy to do. Just follow the guides in the post above the only thing I would add, is that a mirror is handy to see under the ELD to get the fiddly connector clip off.

The idle on the car is rock solid now. From what I have read up on, a problem with ELD will cause an erratic idle. Bizarrely
on mine, when I was stationary and moved the wheel to the left the revs would drop off, as if it was going to stall and then come back up again. I 've also read that some people have experienced this kind of thing when using the electric windows or the lights.

One more thing. This is the part number for the ELD 38255-S5A-003. I could not find the part number listed on the russian site and have subsequently read of people being sold the complete fuse box by Honda. This part should be about 50 quid, wheras the fuse box is about 350 IIRC. HendyShop on here can supply it (Superb service)

Hope this proves useful :)

Back