• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engaging reverse gear issues

Hi guys,

I recently had a new clutch put in as the previous clutch was a toda hi power clutch and overkill for uk roads.

Anyway recently I have noticed that it can very difficult to engage reverse. Don't get me wrong sometimes it slips into reverse first time but too many times over the last few days, when I *** tried to park up, reverse in to parking space, I have looked like a muppet as car won't go into reverse. And sometimes it would make a crunching sound before it goes it, and sometimes it will only go halfway in. Ie I can hear my rear parking sensors engaged but if I move the gear would slip back into neutral. And yes I am stationery when I am trying this. Never had this issue in my old ep3 which done 70k miles. This fn2 has done 30k miles.

I have tried all the usual tricks, such as putting into 3rd/1st gear first them engaging but same issue. Equally I could get it to engage reverse gear first time sometimes. Help!

I know this a common issue due to it being non synchro? But surely I should not have this much trouble. As I said a brand new clutch was installed by Stevie. So I don't know what the issue could be? Surely I don't have to live with this?

Sorry a bit of a noob around this area, but what fluid would I have to change given what Stevie has done.

It has a wavetrac LSD, and that was installed 10,000 miles ago. A full service was done at Honda 6 months (400 miles ago).

Could it be linkages? Is that under the gear gaitor or under airbox?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did this start after the replacement clutch was fitted?

Yep, i don't recall having this much issue on the toda clutch otherwise I would have posted it.

I know this a common issue as I asked the previous owner and he had issues with reverse at times, but not the extremes I have been experiencing over the past seven days.

Who fitted the new one? Have you talked to them?

I have been speaking to Stevie tonight about this and been in contact with him over last couple of days.

He is working with me to address this. Thanks to him for speaking to me outside of his working hours. Appreciate it Stevie,

Hi mate,

I had a similar problem, to be honest, I have it still. First it became a problem to disengage reverse. I thought it might be clutch. So I changed it stock for stock and also I changed transmission oil. It got a bit better, but there was still a problem. Until a week ago, it broke completely. I cannot engage reverse. So I searched web and found out, that there can be problem with 5th gear synchro and sleeve and also reverse gear synchro (or similar part).

I found only one solution. I am going to replace necessary parts with parts by synchrotech in United States.
Here is link for 5th synchro with sleeve: http://shop.synchrotech-transmissio...22-5th-Carbon-Synchro-Sleeve-Set-SS5-H22C.htm

Hope this will help. I checked refit with my mechanic and gearbox expert and hopefully, in 3 weeks it should be ok...

thanks bud for info.

Been a couple of days, still having issues with reverse gear sometimes not engaging, one in 8 attempts over last few days maybe, enough to notice it, but not enough to go to a trader to get it fixed asap.

Will keep everyone posted.

Everything I ordered arrived week ago. So I have reverse brass synchro, 5th carbon synchro and synchro sleeve. Cost me approximately 170 pounds. Now, because xmas time is coming and everybody is busy, changing is delayed until Jan 2013. Then I will send update, if it really helped and hopefully some pictures of synchros (new and old).

Gearbox sorted. Now it works like never before (at least what I have experienced). Main issue was stuck 5th synchro sleeve. Total cost of parts, labor and new gearbox oil was approximately 450 eur.

Back