• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine Management Light

Is there a way to find out the fault code without going to the stealers & paying 40+tax?

Had a calibra (I know:confused: ) but you could wire the relay to give a flash light to indicate the problem.

If not can people give an idea of what it might be, my first thoughts were the O2 sensor so I had a decat fitted & the sensor replaced with one of those emulator things

Any help would be great as it won't vtec no more:(

Ta
Steve

There is a way, looking for the post now. There's one on CTRO, not sure if one has been put here though.

There is a way.

IIRC you have to put a paperclip (or something metal and bendy) between two of the pins in the OBD2a port, and then the engine light will flash a number of times for a particular error etc.

Tom @ TGM knows, he might be able to help you out 8)

Failing that, buy a scangauge and it'll tell you what it is. And let you reset it :p

There is a way.

IIRC you have to put a paperclip (or something metal and bendy) between two of the pins in the OBD2a port, and then the engine light will flash a number of times for a particular error etc.

Tom @ TGM knows, he might be able to help you out 8)

Failing that, buy a scangauge and it'll tell you what it is. And let you reset it :p

Any idea how much a scangauge will cost ??

Think there around £80-£100 (Cheaper if you buy from another country, cant remember which!)

Brother bought one and its a wicked piece of kit, much like the Blitz R-VIT in the way it can read all the settins, i.e. intake temp, boost (if you have it), water temp, rpm, speed, 02 (before and after cat), airfuel etc. But it also has the obd error code reader, and it'll display the code (Then you can go on the net and read the code and see what it is) also gives you the option to clear (i.e. if you have a decat, you can just turn it off :])

Not all Honda dealers charge for connecting your car up to their diagnostic rig and telling you what the problem is.

My GF bought a Honda Stream off Autotrader, because we needed a 6 seater. Two days later, the engine light came on.

Phoned up Norton Way Honda in Letchworth (who'd previously serviced both my Type-R and sorted out warranty work on it, so although they hadn't sold Sarah her car, they knew us both). They offered us £40+VAT to plug it in and tell us what the machine said.

Phoned Stratstone Honda in Bedford. Steve the service manager said they'd connect it up to the diag machine for nothing, and if work needed doing, it would be our choice whether we had it done there or elsewhere.

Drove up there, machine was reporting a catalyser/sensor fault. Steve asked if the car had been standing for a while before we bought it (it had). The guys at Stratstone said the exhaust looked fine, so if they reset the engine light and we took the car on a couple of decent runs, we'd probably never see the warning again. They were totally correct :)

So - definitely worth phoning around dealers and see if you can find a friendly one!

Not all Honda dealers charge for connecting your car up to their diagnostic rig and telling you what the problem is.

My GF bought a Honda Stream off Autotrader, because we needed a 6 seater. Two days later, the engine light came on.

Phoned up Norton Way Honda in Letchworth (who'd previously serviced both my Type-R and sorted out warranty work on it, so although they hadn't sold Sarah her car, they knew us both). They offered us £40+VAT to plug it in and tell us what the machine said.

Phoned Stratstone Honda in Bedford. Steve the service manager said they'd connect it up to the diag machine for nothing, and if work needed doing, it would be our choice whether we had it done there or elsewhere.

Drove up there, machine was reporting a catalyser/sensor fault. Steve asked if the car had been standing for a while before we bought it (it had). The guys at Stratstone said the exhaust looked fine, so if they reset the engine light and we took the car on a couple of decent runs, we'd probably never see the warning again. They were totally correct :)

So - definitely worth phoning around dealers and see if you can find a friendly one!

Thanx for the advice & I will try......... but the close'est 2 to myself wanted £35 & £40. :mad:

We must not be as friendly up North as they say :(

Fixed it :D :D :D so thanks for the help

Was a small sensor in the AEM pipe on my V2 inlet system, gave it wipe and hey prestoe
So gonna give it clay bar treatment tommorrow

Finally took the car to TDI North & the outcome after a couple of hours was...................

Camshaft sensor :oops: which normally means I'd over revved it.
But after replacing it.............. job done

So thanks TDI

Back