• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Engine problem

Hi my ep3 the vtec does not engage the way it should do when i put my foot down about 5000 or more revs i can feel a little slip dont know whether the timing chain is stretched. Engine management light was on its showing

P0341 cmp sensor A and ckp sensor incorrect phase detected

Hope someone can help it really stressing

Yes, it's a skipped chain. Don't drive it again until you have a new chain and tensioner.

Defo the timing chain streched/jumped, incorrect phase is the most acurate & common fault code

Hi update as my timing chain is stretched I bought timing chain kit and the mechanic said that new one is slightly smaller by half a inch so I bought another one from Euro car parts and he said the same thing. Took it back to euro car parts with the stretched chain they counted the teeth and both had 85. So I told mechanic and he said same and said he will try it. How can it be wrong if the part matches engine code ?

thanks for the quick response. Garage say new chain shorter than the stretched one taken out. They figured this out by each other putting chains next to each other ?

If the old chain was stretched enough for it to skip teeth and throw up the EML then i would hope the new one is a fair bit shorter in length than the old one. Sounds like the mechanic hasn't factored in that the new one should be shorter as the old one has stretched.

There was a pic in another thread that showed a mechanic with 3-4 timing chains that he had replaced compared to a new one and there was a massive difference in length. I was surprised in the difference tbh.

I'd always stick to genuine parts for something as critical as the timing chain. They have coloured links to help with timing and you know they will be the correct parts.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yes your correct about the mechanic and yes old one is stretched. ** look up the thread and Thanks for the response

It's fairly obvious that the new one would be shorter, am I missing something here? :lol:

Taken car to another mechanic for the timing chain kit and car is running smooth.
I would thank everyone on this page. But I have little problem when trying to drive in vtec mode I can feel little push vtec don't last seems like it's lagging what can cause this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cannot believe what I'm reading!? A trained mechanic cannot get his head round why a stretched chain is longer than the new replacement..... My 3 year old understands logic like that. Never use that mechanic again dude

Back