• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

engine rebuild

i have just bought a huge box of bits of engine to rebuild mine, its a mixture of type r and type s parts the rods have prb stamped on them so does the crank and one of the heads has prb-1, the other has pnl-2, the crank has prb , is there a way to tell the diffference on the parts? also i know the crank big end journals are colour coded, but are the main bearings all the same size, and are all con rod big ends the same size and the variation on the crank taken up by the colour code

You're going to rebuild your engine and you don't even know which parts to use?

Good luck with that.

parts have different codes on , i only need to find out type r con rod codes and crankshaft codes, which i think are PRB CODES,

PRB are UK Type R parts IIRC. PRC is JDM.

Good luck with it in all fairness, but I think you're mad to try it.

ill let you know on my progress, i bought a replacement engine that i was told came straight out of a damaged car, turns out after the big end went that it had been very badly rebuilt, i had the crank checked by an engineering company and they thought it had already been reground twice, financialy and lack of trust has stopped me buying another, the engine is completly stripped down, i have bought a box of bits far more than i need from a honda racing enthusiast, but it has 2 good cranks amongst it, 4 sets of pistons and rods 2 heads a set of cams ,full set of ARP bolts, my first job is to find out journal sizes, and if all conrods are machined the same origionaly, i am an amateur which is why im on here for assistance, there are alot of stickys how to mod these cars etc, but i cant see anything on standard spec
i hope my progress and end result will be of interest to others

I think that's half the problem. People rebuilding engines tend to go for uprated internals from 3rd party companies.

I can fully understand where you are coming from though.

Did the chap that sold you the bits not have any idea what they were either?

It might be an idea to drop someone like TDi-North an email, but make it clear from the start that you are stuck and just after some advice. They've had many of these engines through the door and will have seen all the bits you have.

Personally I think that's your best chance of identifying them as Honda have a habit of not using the same code on parts though out an entire engine.

Hi thanks for your advice, every bit of help is appreciated,its going to be a slow job, i was going to break the whole car and sell as parts but its just to nice to break up, the guy that sold it me races honda civics, he had type s heads on type r blocks, he did explain why but to be honest it went over my head, something to do with the valves all opening at lower revs!! any way it was running on high octane fuel and melted a piston, i could have had all the bits type s and type r but the weight would have been to much to send, so i have 300 kg of mostly type r parts and a type s crank and head as i thought i can sell those on, im only realy stuck now on putting it together as ive identified which bit is which and was only stuck on the crank and con rods, the rest is quite straight forward a s a standard engine untill i get to timing, then i may need some more help

Back