• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine sound

Ok i'm paranoid just about anything today - what exactly should the engine sound like after a 40 mile journey on the motorway.. don't get me wrong it isn't rattling or anything... but lifting up the bonnet and closer inspection sounds a bit tappity... is this normal ? in fact i think i'm going to record it and upload it to this post for confirmation.

just the tappity sound that doesn't sound quite right, but it's probably perfectly normal...

checked oil before I set off today, done it three times, oil quite black, and bang on half way between the dots which i think is where it should be

going to get her booked in, as got another niggly sound at low speeds ...

It should be on the top dot when warm (but remember to leave enough time for the oil to run back into the sump)

I prefer to check it cold, at which point it is just above 3/4's between the 2 points.

People get confused thinking the engine is tapping but its normally just the injectors you can hear. Also remember the more power your making through modifications and tuning the more fuel will be needed to run so the injectors work harder and make even more noise. :wink:

tp said:
People get confused thinking the engine is tapping but its normally just the injectors you can hear.

Thats what i was thinking, the injectors make a plastic ticking noise.

Back