• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine strengthening needed before Hondata?

Ved

Pondering this for a year's time when the warranty is up and just wondered if i'd need to do any prep work on the engine as it'll be under additional stress of the 40 extra bhp.

Currently I've only got an exhaust (tastey too and only one in the country 8) ) but would I need to change anything in the actual engine too?

Would rather it didnt reduce the life of the car.

David

P Reddy said:
No

I recommend K'pro,jrsc and cams.

Speak to CPL racing or TDi north.

But a chip Kpro/Hondata on its own will not require any internal strengthening. Sounds good and something to ponder

I have been running more than 40 bhp thanks to my JRSC for ni on 30k miles....so far all good so I am sure you will be fine. K20's are tough. Just drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy...and make sure you keep an eye on the oil and you should be ok.

Funky said:
Rcb said:
G said:
Just drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy...

Explain please?

Dont thrash the bolloks off it!

indeed.

I guess my point is, with the extra power you really do not have to try so hard. I mean I rarely go beyond 3-4 k in 1st, and not often much beyond 5-6k in second, then I redline (which on mine is set at 8, via the shift light), as and when I need. Though not of course in 5th or 6th coz that would be illegal.....

I go easy on my clutch and just try and make my changes and general driving as smooth as possible. Which is why despite around 60/70bhp extra and a 30 plus flbs of torque I am still running the original drive train with nary a grumble. And am still on my original front brake discs at 67k....ok that may be a bit extreme. I guess I just brake for no-one :oops:

G said:
Funky said:
Rcb said:
G said:

Explain please?

indeed.

I guess my point is, with the extra power you really do not have to try so hard. I mean I rarely go beyond 3-4 k in 1st, and not often much beyond 5-6k in second, then I redline (which on mine is set at 8, via the shift light), as and when I need. Though not of course in 5th or 6th coz that would be illegal.....

I go easy on my clutch and just try and make my changes and general driving as smooth as possible. Which is why despite around 60/70bhp extra and a 30 plus flbs of torque I am still running the original drive train with nary a grumble. And am still on my original front brake discs at 67k....ok that may be a bit extreme. I guess I just brake for no-one :oops:

:shock: :lol:

I'm kind on the clutch, but the engine - isn't it designed to be hammered once upto temp? :?

Well it can of course be driven hard. I was mainly refering to the drivetrain. However the engine was designed to be driven as is. Not saying It cannot take a few tweeks, however I guess my theory is that with the extra power there is no harm in being a tad gentler. I do not mean by that of course not pushing it to the limit. I know I have my shift light set at 8k, that does not mean i have not ever taken her to her actual limit of 8850 :D.

Just with the extra power for 90% of the time I do not need to so why not help prolong engine and tranny life?. Even changing at 7.8k revs is enough to see of quite a fewinteresting cars :D.

Not that that is the point of course.

Rcb said:
G said:
Funky said:
Rcb said:
G said:

Explain please?

indeed.

:shock: :lol:

I'm kind on the clutch, but the engine - isn't it designed to be hammered once upto temp? :?

It was designed to be driven hard in stock form but it wasnt designed for KPro, JRSC etc etc. Not to say there is anything wrong with these mods but there is always a limitation to what something can take before it goes bang.

- Kevin.

At the end of the day in it's simplest form that with Kpro you won't need to do any internal work.

You dont need to worry about any Engine work with K-Pro

Not sure what plans you have for the car, but even with Superchargers and low PSI Turbos engine work is not required..................to a degree

I'm just after some more power really. I wont be doing anything stupid to it.

So if there's no damage to the engine, what will i be looking at with regards to damage to my wallet?

about £1000 for kpro and a couple of hours tunung on the dyno
cheaper for you really as a stock map should do and cheaper still if you buy 2nd hand from here

Bit too much I'd say. I'd rather spend the money on a sports lens for my camera but we'll see how I feel next April when the warranty runs out

get it done!
it transforms the car, there is a lot more torque low down and it feels a lot faster

Back